General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiding HID ballast boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiding HID ballast boxes?

i was wondering i wanted to buy some HID's for my bike n i wanted the high and low beams both to be HIDs but i didn't know where a good place to hide boththe ballast boxes? does anyone know a good place to put them?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Default RE: Hiding HID ballast boxes?

Im considering this mod myself. But I havent heard from anyone that has done it. I wonder if its worth the cost and if the lights are durable enough...

I havent seen any kits personally, so I dont the detail on em. But, I'm assuming you lengthen the wires if you have to. If thats the case, I would either mount them under my rear seat... ( its useless anyway), or, I would mount them to the inside of my fairings. Probably near the front blinkers. you could use some simple velcro tape so they are removable. i know they are making thinner ballast boxees all the time, so I think there would be room.

when you get yours on, let us know how much they improve the visibility and what kit you are using... thanks,

Old 09-08-2008, 01:50 AM

i think that they would be durable enough the only thing im kind of worried about is that i know that they burn alot hotter so n i dont want them scaring my headlight or discoloring them but im planning on gettting some soon so when i get them and figure out where to mount them ill post pictures and let you know how it goes

Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that I'm unofficially naming myself "CBRForum HID Expert", I may have some information that will shed some light for you........

1. HID's are more than durable enough. I crashed and my bike hit a car at 40 MPH dead on. The bulbs were still lit and fully functioning, even with the bike leaking all sorts of fluids.

2. What year 1000RR? I know on the 07-08 600RR's, space is EXTREMELY limited, but it was still enough for me to hide the two large ballasts.

3. DO NOT buy the mini-ballast kits, they do not put out nearly as much light as the larger ballast kits.

4. DO NOT buy an HID kit with a color temperature above 6000k. Anything higher and you'll just get a very blue color on the road which makes them pointless. Your best bet is to stay around 5000k (4300k is what OEM BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. have).

5. On my 06 600RR, I hid one ballast vertically between the fairing stay, and the other on the plastic "shelf" right underneath the headlamp housings like pictured below. Both ballasts are in plain view, the high beam ballast is vertical right behind the yellow arrow.....and the low beam ballast is horizontal on that "shelf".......both I wrapped in electrical tape to make them black and a little more incognito.

Name:  newHID002.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  85.7 KB

6. You cannot lengthen the wires. Firstly, because they're high-voltage silicone wiring that cannot be spliced. The only other option there is are the HID bulb extension harnesses, but from the 4 kits I've tried them on, everytime it arcs and cuts out the ballast. Even the guy who sold them to me said that they don't work correctly most of the time, but are used as a last ditch effort.

7. You can get kits anywhere on eBay, where I got all of mine........they're all under $100 bucks, and so far I have yet to have a kit fail on me.......ever. And even if they do, the replacement parts are dirt cheap.

8. You will need an H7 kit for the 1000RR.

9. You can opt for a kit with a relay, but these are mostly for cars that run two headlamps at once. Since we have seperate high/low beams with their own relays, there really isn't a point.

10. The HID retrofit is actually extremely easy to do, just time consuming trying to find a place to mount the ballasts. But on a scale of 1-10 (10 being hardest), an HID retrofit is probabaly a 3 or 4 at the most.

11. No, they will not melt or scorch your headlamps, I ran HID's in my 06 for 1.5 years, in my 07 since the day I got it, and in 3 of my other friend's bikes........all with no drawbacks at all.

12. They are significantly brighter (when using 4300k to 6000k color temperature) to regular halogens. The 4300k are going to be the brightest and whitest. The further up in K, the bluer/purplier they are going to get, and the dimmer they'll become......which defeats their purpose.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM

alright cool thanks i appreciate the advice i should be getting mine today so well see how it goes

Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM

My bike came with them, it is an 03 600RR, the guy put the ballasts in the rear of the bike under the rear seat...but off to the sides so they are inside the tail fairing if you know what I mean....so far I have not had any problem...maybe a better way to describe them is the ballests are behind the "vents" in the tail....one on each side...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

8. You will need an H7 kit for the 1000RR.
What kit would you need for a 2001 600F4i?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM

What ever bulb your bike takes, thats the kit you need. I think the F4i takes the H7 bulb. If you pull out a bulb from your bike, it will say on the back of the bulb what type it is.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Any thoughts on having HID low beam and normal Hi beam. I think that is standard on most cars, maybe something to do with the warm up time for the bulb?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the thin ballast and they put out as much light as the bulky ones. 2 years of use and going strong.