General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Mod Reducing glare

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Mod Reducing glare

Ok, I'm installing the HID ballast and bulb on my F4. Here is the deal though: the low beam pattern has some clear glare spots. Here is what I know:

- The reflector bowl is designed for a H4 halogen bulb that is shorter than the HID bulb.
- OEM's commonly (though not always) use projectors for HID's

As to the above two things, I don't care, so if you post just to tell me that... just don't.

Ok, with that. I've played around with electrical tape on parts of the lens and was able to clean up the beam pattern considerably, but it also reduces the light output more than I really like. I've heard a few other people ask about tearing their housing apart rig up a projector bowl, or modify their reflector bowls, but no one seems to have answered that question. A note with that: If you are not familiar with the F4's they have different lenses than the F3's F2's and F1's. Their lenses are clear, and not refractive. This means that the light isn't reflected at the lens, but instead in the reflector bowl.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19370/0C68EE27DB6D46908C7B1BC832641456.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: HID Mod Reducing glare

there have been people that have retro-fitted projectors into their headlight casing with good success...there is a tutorial and pics up at www.cbrworld.net

as far as i know, that is the only true way to fix the glare and cutoff....like you already said, the light is reflected in the bowl...the problem is that HIDs are not supposed to be reflected that and no matter what you do, you'll never reach "projector-quality"....from what i understand...most people just sort of live with the crappy cut-off and glare...likely what i will do when i put in my HIDs....at some point when i have nothing to do, maybe invest and do it right.....but looking at the tutorial...it's no easy feat.....

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

currently correct retrofits are supported for cars...i think if there is a big enough demand, then they would start doing bikes.

maybe someone should contact http://lightwerkz.net/products.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM

yeah you must go with the projector if you want a nice cut beam. i had one from a cadillac which picked up from ebay really cheap with ballast and everything. the only thing you must be concerned about (dunno your bike, but mine does it)is when you turn the key, HID turns on, and then you push the start buton and HID goes off and on quickly. according to some research, this is bad for the HID circuit (correct me if im wrong) so i just installed an on/off switch to manually turn the HID on or off. it worked like a charm but after a few months it started to flickering after i turned HID on, keeps flickering for about 7-8 seconds and then stays steady with no problems after that. wonder why?

heres a pics back when i installed and adjusted the HID. its actually VERY EASY to fit the projector inside the housing. u just need three things: patience, skills and the right tools.
the only thing (i guess) anybody (depending on bike) will have a little bump is creating the pieces (or some other way) that will hold the projector to the housing (say brackets) and you have to be extra careful when cutting the housing to the size of the projector, cuz if you screw it up(cut it to wide) you're likely to be ****ed up (no headlight) but the trick is trimming the headlight very little and see how the projector is fitting, if it needs to go a little deeper, the a little more trimming and so on.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well done mang!
looks semi-ducatish now!

only with ducatis you won't need your tit inspector sticker to inspect...they'll all just come to you! hahahha

Old 02-08-2008, 05:09 PM

ok, so based on a suggestion of a friend, played around with pulling the bulb back and as soon as I pulled the bulb back like a 1/2" the beam pattern was much better. So I bought some rubber gasket material and fabbed some spacers. so I pulled the bulb back to the edge of the H4 socket, and its better now... still not perfect.

Curiously the high beam is a very crisp beam pattern, but the low is much more wild. I attached a before/after

[IMG]local://upfiles/19370/249125E41918458BA4E4E72EBD870E22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:38 AM

Ok, so I went on a ride tonight to test out the mod, and I need to aim the headlight up more, but the glare pattern above the normal "line" goes right into peoples eyes. Unless someone can figure out a way to pull the bulb out an 1/8" more, I'm gonna look into that projector mod that you are talking about.

T

Old 02-09-2008, 09:05 AM

thats the best choice bro,