General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitant Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitant Throttle Response

I have a problem with my 05 600rr that has been there for the past 3 months. When Ithrow back on the throttle quickly it revs up to about 12 thousand rpms then bobs and hesitates back down and maintains around 8 thousands. Seems like it wants to accelerate but won't. If I up shift it will speed up for that gear but will still maintain around 8 thousand. Honda dealer told be it was the throttle position sensor. I ordered another throttle body assembly off ebay and replaced it but it still gives me the same problem. either the part i ordered doesn't work, or the Honda mechanics are idiots. I don't want to get it fixed at a dealer because they said it would cost 1400 dollars to fix. can someone help?[:@][:@][:@]

Old 12-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Hesitant Throttle Response

is your TPS properly adjusted? it may not be BAD, but just misadjusted. also, any kinks in fuel lines, dirty fuel filter? etc..... follow my line of thought right?

Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM

I don't thinkthat it is... because one day i was trying to pass a car and it just all of a sudden stoppped responding... checked the fuel filter... cleaned it.. still same problem.. clueless. after AND before i replaced the throttle body assembly it seemed to work properly until the engine warmed up to a good 190 degrees or so... which only takes a couple minutes.. also, cleaned the entire gas tank w/acetone. and there's no kinks in any of the lines.. and, i don't know how a TPS would be misadjusted.. explain...

Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Hurricane rider

is your TPS properly adjusted? it may not be BAD, but just misadjusted. also, any kinks in fuel lines, dirty fuel filter? etc..... follow my line of thought right?
+1

Eliminate the easiest items... Spark plugs? Air filter?

Check the TPS, I think on this model you can adjust them by turning em... Get a shop manual and it could give you some insight as to where you should start troubleshooting..

Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Visit www.600rr.net to get more responses. This site has a lot of great information but over there they only deal with 600rr's.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:07 PM

checked the air filter and spark plugs. both not it. i'll check out that site

Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM

What exactly did the dealer say it was? 1400 for a TPS sensor change is way too high... even for a dealer to charge.

Sounds like maybe your FPR sensor may be on its way out, or even the fuel pump itself. Maybe not getting all the pressure your bike needs? Especially since it happens and higher RPMS where your need more fuel.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM

justasquid[/b]
Date 12/27/2008 1:18:22 PM

What exactly did the dealer say it was? 1400 for a TPS sensor change is way too high... even for a dealer to charge. Sounds like maybe your FPR sensor may be on its way out, or even the fuel pump itself. Maybe not getting all the pressure your bike needs? Especially since it happens and higher RPMS where your need more fuel.

No, they said the part would be around 1100 because they have to replace the whole throttle body assembly then about 300 for labor, which i can just do myself. I also, took apart the tank and cleaned the inside thoroughly. Checked the fuel pump and it was working fine. Could you be more specific on what the FPR sensor is?

Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 PM

FPR is a fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if it is an individually replaceable part on your bike or not.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Hmm, I really dont see why they would need to replace the entire throttle assembly. I'm pretty sure you can buy just the TPS. But maybe Honda will only sell it that way.

I was referring to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. That would be my first guess with your symptoms. If the bike doesnt get enough pressure, it may operate at lower rpms, but once the rpms go up, it may not be enough pressure for the injectors to keep up. But, a bad fuel pump may also cause the issue by not providing enough fuel once the rpms go up.

How did you check the pump? a pump that is just working doesnt neccessarily mean a properly working one. There needs to be a certain PSI (its pretty high)for a fuel injected bike to operate properly.

Did you clean the tank before or after the running issues?

Iwould leantowards FPR or fuel pump.

Also, a weak coil will cause the same issue. If all else fails, pull all of your coils and measure the resistance across the leads. they should all be the same or very close. If one is bad, it will show a very different reading.

Quick Reply: Hesitant Throttle Response