General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... what exactly is this, and how to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... what exactly is this, and how to replace?

Hey guys... was out riding today and looked down at my clutch where it goes into the housing... noticed this spring was broken :

Name:  113_1349.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  26.2 KB

OK... so... WHAT does this do... HOW important is it... and if its THAT important... how the hell do I replace it? to me it looks like id be playin with some messy stuff to get everything out to where i could add a little spring? I hope this doesnt turn out to be too expensive, no idea how the hell it broke. also, when my lever is at rest (this is with my friends 05 also) I have a bit of "play" in the clutch lever. that is, i can move it back and forth without it engaging anything... its nothing huge... is this normal? also... been hearin a lotta clickin/clackin lately... I think it could be old oil (jackasses at my honda dealer suck, never again). Im thinking about changing it out, putting a hiflofiltro on it and adding castrol actevo... anyone like this oil? anyone know of a heavier oil that works good at quieting things down a bit?

WHEW... sorry for all the questions, but man... my dad scratched my clutch cover a bit (not THAT big of a deal, due to its been down from the guy before me) and just said... oh, whoops... hes a motorcycle guy, so he understands those kinda things, but didnt give a sh*t about it. had a HELL of a day at work... its just not been my day... then i find this damn spring? COME ON... gimme a break... i need a friggin kit kat bar...

thanks for any responses guys,

Chris

Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 AM
Default RE: Help... what exactly is this, and how to replace?

I don't have the manual for your year of bike, so I will post the drawings that would apply to a 92 F2 to give you a rough idea.
It is not too difficult to replace the Return Spring but you have to remove cover and I think drain the oil, at least on my F2.
Look at these images I am posting, see if they can help you. Besides buying a new Spring, you might need a Seal and a Gasket too.
Your Honda Dealer will know. A little play is ok in the lever, to tight a lever might burn your clutch, too loose a lever and you won't have any clutch. I have about an 1/8th inch of play in my clutch.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the spring that would return the clutch to its normal postion after letting go of it. and to replace....look up?.../\...

Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 PM

It doesn't look broken to me, but what do I know, I am only a Professor at Yale.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:37 AM

lol ddvs.... its been snapped, and "jerry rigged" for the moment... there is supposed to be a looot more spring on there.