General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Transmission problem. cbr 954!!! service dept. stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the bike is assembled, I would put it on a stand and start by turning the rear wheel. then remove the chain and turn it by the counter shaft sprocket. If it was still there I would remove the clutch completely and turn it again. Just keep isolating things until it stopped.
I just remembered a modification I accidentally did to a Honda CB300. It had only 4 gears and so more space. What I did was called x-ing the transmission. Second gear counter shaft and main shaft gears were moved to the third gear position and placed on the opposite shafts. The same was done with the third gear pair. This resulted in a closer ratio trans. However, in a box with 6 gears there may not be enough clearance for the dogs on the side of the gears to clear. Is it possible they switched gear clusters around on the shafts ?
It's just a thought but I hope it helps.
Good Luck!
mikey

Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by masonmeuth
OK u need some back story on this one to understand my haste.... last fall i was trying to clutch up wheelies in second gearon my 954, and being a noob to riding wheelies, (not ridin motorcycles) i couldnt fig out how to get the front wheel up. i dumped the clutch at 5000 nothing 6000 nothing... i kept trying and in partfrustration i decided tohit the rev limiter and dump the clutch. on my way home i down shifted to third approaching a light and heard a repeating clattering noise. like a peice of wood being heldto bicycle spokes that were spinning. almost like a knock or ping.i noticed it did it with theclutch held in and whenreleased. only in third gear tho. i was pretty sure it was in the transmission being that when i releases the clutch and engine braking took place, the sound followed the speed of the transmission. when held in the sound seems to respond to the speed of the bike moving and not the engine idle.
So i took the bike to a local respected honda service department and they told me i had some bad gears a bent countershaft and some thrown bearings. everything was replaced/rebuilt and in about february i picked the bike up. i took it out and noticed it was still making the noise exactly the same as before. i know i wasnt ripped off by the service dept. because i had been around and seen them working on the bike.
so i took it back again and they told me they would pay allparts and labor from there on. they thendecided to call honda get measurements on the transmission and went through everything with a micrometer. everything was perfect. i was also told on visual inspection that everything in the transmission was exactly how it should look.
So they called honda back and honda recommended they change some gear spacers to see if that would work. they finished the bike today took it for a test run and told me it was stiiillllll making the noise. they said they are stumped and are going to call honda again to see what the next step should be.
annny information or opinions are greatly greatly apprecicated being that my bike has been in the shop five months now andits getting warm here!!!!!!
i will never clutch a whellie again!!!
just replace it all ...... **** it ...