General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Transmission problem. cbr 954!!! service dept. stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Transmission problem. cbr 954!!! service dept. stumped

OK u need some back story on this one to understand my haste.... last fall i was trying to clutch up wheelies in second gearon my 954, and being a noob to riding wheelies, (not ridin motorcycles) i couldnt fig out how to get the front wheel up. i dumped the clutch at 5000 nothing 6000 nothing... i kept trying and in partfrustration i decided tohit the rev limiter and dump the clutch. on my way home i down shifted to third approaching a light and heard a repeating clattering noise. like a peice of wood being heldto bicycle spokes that were spinning. almost like a knock or ping.i noticed it did it with theclutch held in and whenreleased. only in third gear tho. i was pretty sure it was in the transmission being that when i releases the clutch and engine braking took place, the sound followed the speed of the transmission. when held in the sound seems to respond to the speed of the bike moving and not the engine idle.
So i took the bike to a local respected honda service department and they told me i had some bad gears a bent countershaft and some thrown bearings. everything was replaced/rebuilt and in about february i picked the bike up. i took it out and noticed it was still making the noise exactly the same as before. i know i wasnt ripped off by the service dept. because i had been around and seen them working on the bike.
so i took it back again and they told me they would pay allparts and labor from there on. they thendecided to call honda get measurements on the transmission and went through everything with a micrometer. everything was perfect. i was also told on visual inspection that everything in the transmission was exactly how it should look.
So they called honda back and honda recommended they change some gear spacers to see if that would work. they finished the bike today took it for a test run and told me it was stiiillllll making the noise. they said they are stumped and are going to call honda again to see what the next step should be.
annny information or opinions are greatly greatly apprecicated being that my bike has been in the shop five months now andits getting warm here!!!!!!
i will never clutch a whellie again!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Banned
Default RE: HELP!!! Transmission problem. cbr 954!!! service dept. stumped

Meh, to be honest dude, it's nothing to do with your "wheelies." You just torqued a bike trying to learn something - happens to anyone that has ***** enough to try something.

Anyway, if you'd take the baseball card out of the rear wheel you'd be golden!

Sorry, sounds odd. It could be a number of things but the noise you described is unlike something I've ever heard before. But then again, it is interesting to think of how different people associate sight and sound. I've heard a million descriptions of what a failing CCT sounds like, and they're all pretty much right.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 AM

help guys!!! anyone!?!?! they started looking at the shirt forks in the transmission today per hondas recommendation. anythings helpful!!! id say its almost like a clanking sound like somethings hitting the gear teeth as is spinning. i dont know could that possibly be the shift forks?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 AM

**shift forks not shirt forks haha

Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM

i also have a 02 954 and today coming into work i heard the same noise but it was in 5th to 6th. It sounds like a gear tooth or ball bearing is rolling around

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

they said they would pay for everything from now on right? Tell them you dont got time for this BULLSH*T just buy me a new tranny goddamnit!!!

Problem solved.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Only in third gear, only in third gear, only in third gear...something I am missing? Did they replace gears or bearings and all the associated parts of the trans/3rd gear section? Havent had a bike trans apart, but have rebuilt car trannys and sounds like a third gear issue if the noise is solely third and not even a hint of noise in any other gear. If honda is stumped, there isnt much to do

Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 PM

My 03' 954 is doing the same thing - I think....
I was climbing a hill 3 days ago with i'd say 60-70% power and out of no where the trans made a brief clunk, so by instinct I pulled in the clutch. What I heard while coasting was a constant clack clack clack noise from the transmission that I could actually feel in the bike every time it makes the noise. It' like a resistance of some sort and then no resistance. It does it about every 1/3 to 1/4 turn of the rear tire. With the engine off or running, It does it in neutral, with the clutch in or out, it'll do it in every gear while driving yet it shifts fine.

I checked the rear wheel bearing, it's fine. The chain is fine and was tensioned properly. Both the front and rear sprockets are good with no missing teeth.

What did your dealer find in the end? I'd love to know!! Anyone else that has a good working knowlage of our transmission please post up.

Thanks a bunch!!
Russ -

Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Noise every third or quarter revolution of the rear wheel? I'd take the chain off and spin the countershaft sprocket by hand, even a small defect on a tooth COULD make this noise. BUT...it sure sounds like the earlier poster said, damaged third gear on the mainshaft, or whatever gear it meshes with on the countershaft. Not good news. Maybe as simple as a small pickup of some metal on a tooth, but more likely damage to the edge of the teeth on the dog end of the gear.
Good thing they are paying for it. But then again I'm sure the original repair was not cheap.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

It is a bad day when you have problems with a constant mesh transmission and can figure it out, they are quit simple, it desnt sound like transmission problems it sounds like output shaft issues, but it could be any number of things I would need to see it to give it proper diagnosis

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Transmission problem. cbr 954!!! service dept. stumped