General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please, shoud be small fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006 | 09:50 PM
Default help please, shoud be small fix

hello, jus wanted to ask bout recent prob, i had been starting up my bike for a few minutes on off days that i didnt ride, and i nearly almost ran out of fuel bc jus not payn attn. my ? is if i did indeed get air (run out somewhat on gas) in there, whats tips to handle that bc after taking notice, the bike stalled completely, i went and refueled the bike, then cranked bike, it statred to idle, then bogged down to til engine stopped completely again. at this time i have attempted to start the bike, and nothing except tryin to crank, it wont turn, or it wants to, do i "flood"? the motor or whats that about and all lights and kill switch are fine.do i go thru trouble to make sure im still getting spark? i i will do more research, but any input is greatly appreciated.
thanks again

Old 05-11-2006 | 10:15 PM
Default RE: help please, shoud be small fix

also, the bike is a cbr2002600ccf4i hope that helps a little.

Old 05-11-2006 | 10:20 PM

Im just taking a stab here but if You ran the bike dry there is a chance you fried the fuel pump.I dont know much about the F4i's but maybe pop a fuel line off and turn on the ignition to see if the pump is working?

Old 05-11-2006 | 10:57 PM

The hardest thing to do is not allow you’re self to start chasing all kinds of problems that should not be related. Try to think of what you did to cause the problem at hand.

With that being said, I don't think your fuel pump is the problem since the pump should quit running when the engine stops running. I ran one of my EFI bikes out of gas and after filling some gas back in the tank it started up just fine right away so I don't think air in your lines is your problem.

What I need to know is if the fuel pump spool up when you turn your key to run? Spooling up means that whirring sound you should hear. If your pump is spooling up then it should be pressurizing the fuel system from the tank to the injectors.

Second thing to make sure of is that your battery is fully charged. It is very possible that coincidently the battery is giving you problems and your EFI is fine. This is why, by running the bike over and over again and letting it idle will drain the battery because the battery is not charging at those low idle RPM's. If the battery is not fully charged it can have just enough power left in it to turn the engine over but not enough to start the bike up. I don't know the exact figure but I keep hearing the engine needs to run at 5000 RMP or over to allow the batter to charge.

Spark should not be your problem unless your plugs are maybe a little fouled. If that is the case and if your battery is fine then a weird technique that I’ve seen work is keep turning the bike over while you open and close the throttle real fast. You should start to hear the engine come to like in spurts then all of a sudden it will start running.

Good luck and let us know.

Old 05-12-2006 | 12:01 AM
Default further developments.

further investigation has led me to find the bike had been laid down jus moments b4 i cranked it up. turns out brother was playing in backyard w it and left it in soft grass, it fell over. so when i came out maybe 4 minutes later, unaware,(bro cleaned the dirt off) i cranked the bike, and thats when it stalled out the second time, so i may need new spark box or any input on whether or not the plugs will pull thru? i know that carb plugs will flood, but im not too sure hows is with fuel-inj. i have had this bike for about 10 days and this is first prob, ok so, i will wait thru the night, and check again, im also not ruling out that inexp bro may have tried to ride with the kikstand down also, i dunno, alls i know is that he took my keys wo me knowing and i jus thought i had ran the gas out, so. anyway thnks

Old 05-12-2006 | 12:17 AM
Default RE: further developments.

yeah, all that being said, yes the fuel line still feeds gas to the intake when i throw the kill switch,so thats ok, its prob to do with that i was crankin all those days unaware its harming the battery. i will test it, i know its supposed to be around 12.5 or something voltage, i tried the throttle technique already, still wont turn,will check the batt n get bac at

Old 05-13-2006 | 05:10 AM
Default RE: further developments.

02, One other thing ,Iv'e heard you should ride a bike/ car untill you've burnt off the condinsation, if you start 'm up. And I think it takes a few miles at rpm( above about 2500) the make up for the battery draw, to start it up. just help'n if I can. Hope you figured the big ? out. hope your up soon... Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 05-13-2006 | 06:28 PM

The only thing I can say is that you are a better person than I am. If my brother was messing around with my bike, I'd would be sorely tempeted to physically explain the rules of ownership to him. Hope you get your bike back on the road!!

Old 05-14-2006 | 02:59 AM

i know exactly what your problem is the exact same thing happened to my 02 f4i it is the bank lean sensor " the thing that shuts your bike off when it falls over in the event of a crash " it is located behind the head light house above and between where the two head light bulbs plug in
also it will have blown the fuse for the starter signal i think that was the fuse but either way i would bet a lot of money that that is what it is from now on keep your lil bro and in my case stupid bitch as ex girl friends away from your bike

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:03 AM

also don't feel like a jack *** for not knowing this it took me two weeks of down time to figure it out i also trailered the bike to a hoda dealer that couldn't figure it out so i got my still not running bike back and out came the service manual after taking apart just about everything i finally figured it out

Quick Reply: help please, shoud be small fix