General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me fix/replace(?) my forks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me fix/replace(?) my forks!

The Bike:
I got a good deal on a 98 900RR that has been down on it's right side, but not too bad.

The Problem:
The forks do a couple weird things, one is they tend to bounce a little bit. The other is the bike -slightly- wants to pull to the right when I let go of the bars, but if I sit just a little to the left on the seat it's enough to correct it, but still, not good, and also, the bars sometimes start to wiggle if I take my hands off. Also, the front tire looks like it is slightly closer to the right side of the front fender than the left...?

What I've tried so far:
bounce-I set all the suspension settings to standard when I got it, didn't mess with the rebound of the springs too much, but I've tried adjusting the rebound and compression screws every which way and it still feels the same, which makes me wonder how the seals are or if there is fluid in one or both forks? there was not fluid on the outside of the forks when I got it, but it could have been cleaned...

pull to right- I've unbloted the front wheel, tried to look and see if the axle was bent but couldn't notice a bend, did the thing where you bounce the front end to straighten everything, and then retighten, with no luck. I've also unclamped and reclamped the fork tubes from the triples, with no luck. bike still pulls slightly to the right, and front wheel still slightly biased to right side of front fender

Could the fork tubes be bent and that's what's causing the pull? could one of the forks be blown and the other not and that becausing it? I was thinking about rebuilding these forks, but I obviously don't want to if they're bent. What elsse could be causing the pull to the right besides the tubes? I can only thingk of axle, bent tubes, tubes twisted in triples, or maybe bent steering neck?

What should I do?!
Should I just buy a new pair of fork tubes right off the bat? Or should I try to rebuild these with new seals and fluid etc.? What else could be causing the pull to the right besides bent fork tubes? Maybe one of the forks is shot and the other isn't? Help me figure this out...[]

Old 01-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help me fix/replace(?) my forks!

i say find out what the cause is first. unbolt the forks from the triples and then rebolt them back up. sometimes this solves the issue. check the manual for correct tightening steps...since the forks are off anyway, i'd check to see if they are bent. look for weeping of fluid around the fork seals...but if all or most of the fluid is gone, then it's hard to tell the difference...then maybe weight it?!?!

no need to buy new forks, you can get the tubes straightened...unless you can find a great deal on used forks!

T

Old 01-21-2007, 08:08 PM

I apologize if my post was too long....haha

I have unbolted the tubes from the triples, used a manual, and tried to deterine if there was any fluid in them by messing with the comp/rebound screws with no effect. I haven't taken the fork legs all the way off though, which I guess I would ned to do to find out if they were bent although i'm not sure how I would check that since they won't exactly roll...

I can get some used fork tubes for about $150... I think that's almost as much as it would cost to have them to be rebuilt, not including straightend. unless I were to rebuild them myself, which I'm not sure how to do or if I have the right tools...

Old 01-23-2007, 02:42 PM

check your forks off the bike before you go out buying new stuff.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 AM

The early 90's showa forks on the 900rr had hit and miss build quality....they might be completely out of oil. A rebuild costs little...$12 in oil, $20 for seals. If you buy tools, you couls easily resell them here for a small penalty.

Buying another set you never know what you'll get either.

As you mentioned, forks can "twist" in the tripples in the right kind of crash. They might be bent, but might not....does the upper clamp point the same as the front wheel..?.. If not, loosen the pinch bolts on the LOWER clamp only, and bounce the wheel against something (tree, car bumper)using the handles bars to see if you can get them in line again.

If they are bent, you'll be able to tell when you take them out of the tripples. A local machine shop can straingthen them for $20.

Front tire wear or rear wheel alignment could cause pull....but I'd focus on the front end first.