F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

How do i support the bike to replace the forks??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i support the bike to replace the forks??

How do I jack up / support the bike so I can replace the forks?? I dont have any realstands or bike jacks, except a home made wooden rear stand, and only jack i have is a Craftsmen racing type car jack. Any ideas?!?!?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Default RE: How do i support the bike to replace the forks??

here's what we're doing right now to replace my roommates forks. don't think u need a rear stand but if u can take a car jack and get the bikehigh enough to place the stands underneath it. its actually pretty sturdy
http://www.putfile.com/imnorman/images/141542

Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM

I've seen a shop take off the lowers and use a hydraulic jack underneath the exhaust headers to support bike. Kick stand down and no rear stand required.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 AM

honestly, i would invest in some stands for your bike. unless you plan on having the dealer do every little thing to your bike (which i would reccomend against ) i just bought a set of stands from t-rex that includes a rear spool/pad stand, front fork stand, and front triple stand for about 150 shipped.

i really wish i had a triple stand when i replaced my forks. i had the bike on a padded stand, and used a small floor jack with a 2x4 to jack up the bike underneath the exhaust headers. the bike was very unstable on the jack, but i managed to swap out the forks just fine. PHXf4i's solution looks a lot better than mine, but i would still suggest a triple stand.

on a side note, PHXf4i, did you roommate buy the bike that way, or did he do that to it? looks like exactly what i did to mine....
________
Bbw Movies

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 AM

he looped it. he's only been riding since may. thought he would try some wheelies. he kept tellin me at some lights how he would get the front end up. i told him he shouldn't be tryin that on public roads and especially with so little experience. he was on 35th ave and northern at a light and it turned green and he punched it. i didnt know bout it til i got back from cali and saw it in the garage and immediatley knew what happened when i saw the tail piece. he looped it. he was aight thanks to all the gear but the forks, triples, rim, rotors, upper fairing, headlight, levers, tail fairing, clip ons, and front brake master cylinder, rear seat, tailight all need either fixed or replaced. i just said too him " i told you". hard and expensive lesson learned.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 AM

That doesnt look like it would be good for the motor or covers?!?!?

So is this what I should look into getting.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 AM

if you have a garage.. put some hooks in the support beams and hang it by the bars maybe?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Ya, hang it by the top of the tripple tree... You can even use a swingset if you dont have rafters in your garage.

Ive done it a dozen times to remove my front tire.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Im gonna try to hang it up by the rafters in the shed,I have some ppl tellin me to lay it on its side on some towels, Im like wtf...umm NO...

Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM

oh yea i forgot about hanging it. i never tried that but it should work pretty good. those stands are just the front 2, if you want the rear as well then this is what youre looking for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...5796QQtcZphoto
as far as laying it on its side, whoever told you that needs to have a drug test........

________
HERBAL VAPORIZER

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: How do i support the bike to replace the forks??