General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire

i just got new tires for my bike and took the old ones off and sent the wheels to the shop to get the new rubber on. everything went back the same way it came off but now my chain is making a clicking noise. sounds somewhat like a ratchet. the chain doesnt seem loose its just as tight as it was before i took the wheels off. anyone have an idea on whats causing this?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Try cleaning, lubing, and adjusting it to spec regardless of how loose or tight it was before. Make sure it's not rubbing on anything and the wheel is straight causing the chain to track crooked on the sprocket.

How old are the chain/sprockets? Inspect all the links and teeth to make sure it's in good shape.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sight down the chain from the rear. Is the chain in the same plane as the rear
sprocket? If it's offset, you will need to loosen the axle and adjust it till they
are in the same plane.

If the sprocket is pointing to the left, loosen the left and tighten the right, axle-adjusters.
You should have about 1"-1 1/8" of slack in the bottom run (measured from the top of the chain
to the top of the chain at high/low).

Odds are, this is your problem.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered Users

sighted down that chain and the rear sprocket is in line loose chain to tight chain and everything in between, and nothing seems to lessen the noise. the noise is coming from the front sprocket. as for wear it looks fine. chain does have a tight spot but prior to taking the wheels off it didnt make this noise.... any other suggestions?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

& you are sure the chain is riding the front sprocket correctly ?

Not riding between the sprocket and the motor casing or outside between it & the sprocket cover ?

3/4 inch slack up and down at mid point of chain ? too tight it will make a grinding / whirring noise

Last edited by Sprock; 08-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered Users

now that i think of it this noise was present before i took the wheel off, but its was relatively quiet . now its LOUD. i idled the bike in first on the stand and could hear the noise from 50feet away. ive tried every combo of loose and tight chain, while making sure the sprockets are in line and the chain is tracking straight on them. even tried cocking it to either side a little to see if that would make a difference, but still no improvement. here are some picks of the front and rear sprocket the dark one is the front the aluminium one is the rear

Attached Thumbnails Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire-pic_0300.jpg   Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire-pic_0304.jpg   Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire-pic_0297.jpg   Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire-pic_0303.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Having the bike sitting on the stands while allowing it to idle in gear is going to generate more noise than it would while on the ground. Take it down off the stands and go for a slow idle speed ride up your neighborhood street. See if you hear the sounds then.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered Users

very noticeable at low speeds and worse at higher

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The noise you describe sounds as if at some point the chain was too tight and the rollers are clicking as they ride in the sprocket teeth. Even one kink in the chain is too many. Replace it and the sprockets as a set and put back to spec slack. There are a lot of good chain/sprocket sets for decent $$ out there.

Edit:

Looking closely at your pics, the front sprocket seems to be worn a bit. They rear not so much ... but I can make out the beginning of a pocket that will only get worse and cause more noise. But I can certainly imagine the wear on the front sprocket could cause noise due to the chain not riding in it correctly.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM

It could be time for a new chain and sprocket set, other than that did you get the wheel spacers in on the same side they came off? maybe that could throw off the chain abit and made more noise, but you said the chain looks straight with the sprockets. how about your brakes did you get both pads on one side of the rotor and its causing the rim to be off a hair. Just trying to throw ideas out there that could be caused when removing the tire.

Quick Reply: Help, loud chain noise after I replaced rear tire