General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Identify this problem please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Identify this problem please

Just bought this bike from my son. 2005 cbr 1000rr Sweet bike that has what I hope is a small problem. The 2 cables in the pic are near the boot guard on the right side of the bike. It starts sometimes but runs rough. Put in gear and it dies. I know it is probably clutch cable & throttle? Why would it just pop out like that? And I can't for the life of me find where it needs to go? Do I have to pull side fairings off? Probably going to tow it to the shop. Ball Park figure on labor for this repair? Any help sudgestions appriceated, Thanks Rob.

Attached Thumbnails Help Identify this problem please-photo.jpg   Help Identify this problem please-downsized_0730081824a.jpg  
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ball park figure = an arm, a leg, and a left nut. We call them stealerships for a reason, (they will rob you blind). If you dont already have a manual, then D/L one from someone on here. (check the stickys) By looking at the pic, I'm assuming they were removed to install that sweet *** akro exhaust, and they probably "popped" off cause they weren't reinstalled properly. Yes pull the plastics and look deeper, I'm sure it'll be pretty obvious where they go (once you see it). I'm a firm believer of DIY, and not throwing money out the window. Anyways, sweet bike but shouldn't your old *** be on a Harley. J/K lol.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm big on DIY too. Don't really want to mess it up worse then it is though. I'll look for a manuel on here and see what I can do. By the way my old *** is only 39. The harley is still 10 years out..

Last edited by robz; 03-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by robz
Just bought this bike from my son. 2005 cbr 1000rr Sweet bike that has what I hope is a small problem. The 2 cables in the pic are near the boot guard on the right side of the bike. It starts sometimes but runs rough. Put in gear and it dies. I know it is probably clutch cable & throttle? Why would it just pop out like that? And I can't for the life of me find where it needs to go? Do I have to pull side fairings off? Probably going to tow it to the shop. Ball Park figure on labor for this repair? Any help sudgestions appriceated, Thanks Rob.
just an idea, but when you pull in your clutch does the cable move? and same goes for your throttle...

I am looking at the parts fiche and those are the cables from a servo.

heres the pic

Last edited by rellimdekim; 03-22-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM

yep, everyone is on the right track. those cables are for the servo. they are no longer needed as the servo was removed when the factory exhaust was removed. So, there is no where for the cables to go. The best thing you can do now is just tie them up out of the way with so the dont snag on anything as they will still operate back and forth.

The servo was a factory installed flap inside the factory exhaust that was supposed to close at low rpms and open up after 6 grand or so. It was intended for low end torque, but more so for noise emissions. the noise emissions stadard is measured at 5 grand.. I think.

those cables really have nothing to do with your running issue.

I would consider a plug change for the rough running issue. I had to change the spark plugs on my 05 at 8000 miles due to them being fouled. It really is too soon for them to foul, but since my bike did, I imagine it could happen to yours as well. But, as long as it clears up as it warms up, your probably ok. My bike sounds like crap until it warms up a bit. Also, your bike should be at least at 140 deg's before you ride it.

Also, when the bike dies after you put in gear. Your kickstand isnt down is it? there is a kickstand saftey switch that shuts the bike off if the kickstand is down in gear.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 AM

you should be able to remove the cables from the servo end so they are not hanging loose. I removed it on my 08 , the servo just does its thing so as not to get an fi light

Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Yes I seen they run to the servo on the opposite side of the bike and they move when the throttle and clutch are turned. So you are telling me those cables go nowhere because of the exaust upgrade? So what about the idle mixture adjustment on the side of the bike? My 14 year old might have turned that like the little *** that he can be. Can someone tell me how to adjust it? This bike has always fired and ran perfectly.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Correction they do Not move when throttle and clutch are moved so they are obsolete right? So the problem is somewhere else. Help I need to ride...

Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 PM

thats not an ilde mixture adjustment. Its nothing more than the idle speed adjuster. turn it clockwise to increase idle rpm, counterclockwise to lower rpm. your bike is fuel injected, so there is no idle mixture, that is all taken care of by the ECU.

yes, the cables go to nothing as the exhaust has been upgraded.

If it only started to idle rough since the idle speed has been tampered with, simple increase or decrease the idle. you should be around 1200 rpms once the bike is warmed up.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM

well my son said he diden't turn it but his friend might have. Should I turn it all the way to the right to close it then try to start it? I want to know what kind of idiot kid would touch such a nice bike! Man ! just want to get it started. Could it be a fuse? Battery is sounding weak now from me trying to get it started. This blows ***!

Quick Reply: Help Identify this problem please