General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. How to correctly bed in new brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 PM
vaa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. How to correctly bed in new brake pads

I think I've decided on what rotors I'm going to order. My stock ones have a slight rubbing sound when I'm coming to a stop as though they are very slightly warped.

I'm going to get the Braketech Axis Cobra's SS. I have new Vesrah RJL's that I'm putting on as well. My bike already has SS lines and a Brembo MC. While I was searching the forums for info about the rotors I saw a lot of people say how important it is to Bed the pads into the rotors correctly but I never saw how to actually do it. I googled it and found a couple of articles but they weren't that clear to me.

One said to do 10 stops from 60mph to 10mph very quickly and not to come to a complete stop until that was done. Another article said to find a road with a lot of stop signs and cruise it normally. That seems like the opposite of the first one I read.

So what is the correct way to do it????

Thanks
V

Old 05-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Opinions vary greatly, but generally, bring your bike up to 40-50 mph, brake fairly hard without stopping completely, then go again and allow the brakes to cool, usually a minute or so, then repeat several times. that should be more than enough for most pads. I would double check with the manufacturer to see what their reccomendations are and go by that.

I would also suggest not getting race pads for the street. They do not have the stopping power standard pads do initially, they require quite a bit of heat to work properly, and normal driving doesn't get them hot enough to work well. You have to consider what environment things are inteded to be used. The track has a ton of braking over and over, and standard pads transfer a lot of heat into the system and creates brake fade. They are made from materials that resist heat, so they don't fade once they are hot, but they require heat to get to the point of good stopping power. Standard pads on the other hand, transfer more heat into the system, but do not require heat to work properly.

Another thing to consider though. Almost all brakes on these bikes will make a faint rubbing sound from the front brakes. If your feeling any pulsation while braking, your rotors are more than likley not warped.

the funny part is, every new bike I've ever owned, I've never broke in the pads, but I do when I replace them....

Last edited by justasquid; 05-30-2010 at 03:15 AM.