General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! CCT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! CCT!!!

There is a little room for tolerance there but not a lot, the chain does not have much stretch to it, so the way you say you went about it you could be close to a full turn over tight, if so your putting extra stress on the chain and gears. You could also be right on but there is only one way to know for sure.I would also not trust "finger tight" it may be a pain but you may want to make sure you get a wrench on whatever bolts you couldnt, the engines shake and vibrate quite a bit which can easily loosen undertightened nuts/bolts.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:37 PM

OK well I got "unlazy" and went and adjusted it per Tahoe (who seems to be the god of CCT lol). I feel better now. If anyone has questions about how to do it: you can AIM me. My AIM is unmelodiousness. It goes to my phone so if your in the middle of it and need to ask something, feel free.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

There is a little room for tolerance there but not a lot, the chain does not have much stretch to it, so the way you say you went about it you could be close to a full turn over tight, if so your putting extra stress on the chain and gears. You could also be right on but there is only one way to know for sure. I would also not trust "finger tight" it may be a pain but you may want to make sure you get a wrench on whatever bolts you couldnt, the engines shake and vibrate quite a bit which can easily loosen undertightened nuts/bolts.
Chan...you are asking for trouble just using your fingers to tighten bolts.

Seriously, by at least a good set of metric sockets and wrenches.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Glad you went back thru it, for the couple hours of a saturday spent you can let er rip "knowing" the job was done right. Good call.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Does this CCT problem occur with all CBR's from the original to the 2007?

Seems every forum has someone commenting on this...yet have seen no re-call or much press from Honda about it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seemsthe CCThas been more of a problem in F4I's mostly and some later models. I don't know if there are advantages to using a manual vs. OEM CCT in the F4I's. I have an F3 and I just replaced the CCT. I went with the OEM CCT because this ishow I figured it... 45000 Miles/$50 = 900 miles/$ (45K is mileage on the bike and $50 is what I paid for the CCT). Things wear out on these bikes and I think my bike falls in the category of higher mileage. The issue with the CCT being a problem or just something that wears out with time is hard to say. With my bike, I think that I would go with it was just time to replace it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Yea I didn't think the bolts were tight enough, and I heard someone's bike totally FUBARed from bolts on the CCT being loose. So I went back and tightened them. And readjusted the CCT correctly.

Does this CCT problem occur with all CBR's from the original to the 2007?
I think it only really happens on later model CBRs because the redesigned the CCT around 2003.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

It's very common on the F3's as well. Also, it is a very simple install on the F3's, I've not changed one on the F4, but I know the bike well and I wouldn't see it being a problem. Neither would the F4i's to 2003. It's all pretty straightforward and takes almost any noise your bike makes away.

Always go with the manual CCT compared to the OEMhydraulic tensioners - which suck and fail. The manual tensioner is where it's at.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:08 AM

I've read on other posts that modifying the OEM by replacing the screw with a longer one will work also. Wish I could work on bike now but weather is crazy here. Why am I in Michigan????

Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 AM

haha Colorado sucks just as much.