General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! CCT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! CCT!!!

OK I just got done putting in my new CCT. PAIN IN THE ***. It was really hard getting the old one out and getting the new one in was just as hard. Word to the wise, have an array of tools available if you try this because it is in a really awkard getting to it.

OK BUT MY QUESTION IS:

I put in a manual CCT and when I start my bike it is making a REALLY loud rattling from that area, I turn it off right away each time to prevent ****in anything up. What is wrong? I tightened the main bolt on the manual CCT until it was hand snug, then i backed it out a little bit. The gasket is on, the other bolts that hold the CCT on seem to be tight, etc. PLS HELP!!

I am so pissed right now.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Default RE: HELP!! CCT!!!

COME ON GUYS! Leavin me hangin.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 AM

ON NEVER MIND!!! haha fixed it. THANK GOD

Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 AM

What did you do to fix it?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 AM

well I did not have the main bolt in tight enough...I had hand tightened it but u really got to get it in there at least half way if not more.

THANK GOD!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um...you're supposed to tighten the cctl with the bike running...
start bike, you'll hear the cam chain rattling...then tighten it until the noise just disappears, then give it 1/4 turn more and then lock it
there's no way to adjust it with the engine off.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 AM

Im going to be replacing mine here shortly too... Im leaning towards the manual CCT like you did, is this the best bet to go with or stick with a OEM?
Thanks

Old 04-07-2007, 02:12 AM

Same here, gotta 01 F4i but dont know whether to modify the OEM or get the manual one. Any suggestions? Also what do you mean "array of tools"? How many tools do you need??

Old 04-07-2007, 04:20 AM

Ok well it was just very hard to get to the bolts to take out the old one and put in the new one. You will be able to figure it out, just dont get too frustrated and give up.

As far as manual and automatic goes: I went manual because I didn't want to ever have to do this again. Also because it was cheaper.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:38 AM

um...you're supposed to tighten the cctl with the bike running...
start bike, you'll hear the cam chain rattling...then tighten it until the noise just disappears, then give it 1/4 turn more and then lock it
there's no way to adjust it with the engine off.

ok one more quick question. I had already put my bike back together before I read this. My question is: how exact is the adjusting of the CCT. Because what I did was: Turn on the bike, hear the loud rattle because it was too loose and turn it off right away. I then tightened it a bit and turned it back on, when I did this the rattle was gone. So I turned the bike off tightened it a bit more and then secured all the bolts (mostly by hand because it is so damn hard to get a wrench in there but they are about as tight as they gona get with a wrench) and put my bike back together. Tahoe, I know you said it can **** up the chain if it is too tight, but how tight is too tight? I dont hear any abnormal noises and for the most part it sounds real good in the revs. (I just dont want to take it all apart again to tighten it up if it isn't needed)