General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my bike wont start?

Its a 95' cbr rs

I got it yesterday and rode it around the block a few times in first gear then as soon as i hit second it sputtered and died. I had to walk it home. I checked the battery and thats good but i dont know what else to do as a beginer. It turns over like one time then nothing.

All suggestions are helpful thanx.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help

Hello and welcome to the forums!! :-)

Sorry to hear of your bike woes, hopefully someone can help you out ...

Try here the F3 forum for more response ...

https://cbrforum.com/forumid_14/tt.htm

When a bike just splutters and dies diagnosis can be hard because it can be a lot of things cause the same symptons .. check the obvious like enough petrol and that you havent gone into reserve yet on the fuel tap ... check electrical connectors etc ...

Good luck!! :-)

Jules

EDIT: Long shot here ..CBRs have a side stand switch to cut the engine if its down when you let out the clutch ..check the switch maybe that it isnt faulty

Old 11-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Yah i checked most wires and the fuel lines and the kick... but now it wont even turn over. At first it would turn 2-3 times now the fan just kicks in and i get nothing when i hit the start button?

[&o]

could it be the starter?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Endless
I checked the battery and thats good but i dont know what else to do as a beginer. It turns over like one time then nothing.
That sounds a bit contradictory ..turns over one time then nothing sounds like a flat battery, if the battery is good the engine should just keep spinning over and over even if it doesnt fire up!!

Jules

Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM

could it be the starter?

Well it could be but that doesnt explain it stopping when you were out on the road ... it sounds like a flat battery, turns over one time then nothing ..now wont even turn over .. also I believe they do need a certain amount of charge in the battery to run at all to keep the coils or whatever else that needs energised

Jules

Old 11-08-2008, 01:28 PM

yes, i thought the same thing so i took the battery out and had it checked on a voltage meter and it showed fully charged...

What are the main components to turning over the engine?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:33 PM

What are the main components to turning over the engine?
Well, the battery and the starter motor plus you have things like the starter button and engine kill switch etc ... but, if the engine was already running and the battery is good, it kinda rules the battery/starter out .. could be a carb issue, dirt in the carbs, blocked jets etc or an electrical issue like rectifier/regulator ... I cant remember too well, kinda rusty these days but I think an almost flat battery can still show 12V whereas a fully charged is nearer 13.8V ..its more to do with its ability to supply a large dose of current when needed

Jules

Old 11-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Yah, i think we are getting close here. I have a friend (the guy i bought the bike from) on his way over to take a look. He was saying the same thing about it maybe being the carb or regulator.

I will keep you posted and let you know the cure when we get it going thanx jules

Old 11-08-2008, 01:47 PM

check the kick stand switch......possibly loose of faulty.....bridge the wires the by pass it and see it that does anything.....these bikes have alot of fail Safe devices...that end up being a pain the the ***....make sure it is nuetral...by pass the kick stand switch and see what that does....

Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM

electrical connections deteriorate over time...especially like on a bike where most if it is exposed.....you will want to get a couple cans of contact cleaner from like radio shack or a large computer store.....just carefull unclip each connector...spray linerally and reconnect....no need to dry it off ( the stuff evaps almost instantly). this is the first thing I do with anthing that has aged a bit.....they are brass...and brass tarnishes...the tarnish is NOT conductive