General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, 2006 Cbr 1K intermittant start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, 2006 Cbr 1K intermittant start issue

I serched & didnt find a answer to whats happening.... basically, I turn on key, turn starter switch on, I here fuel pump prim, wait a few sec's, hit starter button and she cranks but wont fire, i will stop after say 10 sec.. try again, and same thing, then she will kinda of cough once like she wants to start every few cranks almost like she is flodded then fires, and she is fine.. Runs fantastic.. This only happens once in a while.. have no clue what could be causeing it.. And only happens after sitting over say 4-5 hrs... Are there any kill switch's that disable just the spark but will still let bike crank ??

Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

As I found with my 2002 CBR 600 F1 the battery has to be fully charged and turn the engine at a fast rate of revs if it has any hope of starting. Just cranking over at a slow rate generally won't fire the bike up. Since I charged my battery up overnight, the bike starts almost immediately and even when stood for a few days. I disconnected my earth lead in September, due to having an operation on my right hand. I re-connected it last week one day and the bike fired up right away! Still not able to ride just yet, but was glad the bike started ok. Try taking the battery off the bike and let it charge for a good few hours, preferably through the night and see it that helps. Of course if you are confident the battery is in good condition, then other things might be causing your problem. Good luck!

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
I serched & didnt find a answer to whats happening.... basically, I turn on key, turn starter switch on, I here fuel pump prim, wait a few sec's, hit starter button and she cranks but wont fire, i will stop after say 10 sec.. try again, and same thing, then she will kinda of cough once like she wants to start every few cranks almost like she is flodded then fires, and she is fine.. Runs fantastic.. This only happens once in a while.. have no clue what could be causeing it.. And only happens after sitting over say 4-5 hrs... Are there any kill switch's that disable just the spark but will still let bike crank ??

Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM

the bikes does not Appear to be cranking slow at all...

Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

might be flooded?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM

I think it had that cough like it was flooded cause it cranked so long to start.. so it had all that fuel in there. but yet, it fired up 2.5 hrs later at work and then 3.5 hrs after that with no problem. This is really frigin weird

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

I find the my cbr starts first time on the button if I leave the throttle alone. If you twist the throttle even slightly, this can flood the engine. I used to have this problem with the old Triumphs etc and the way to clear the cylinders was to slowly fully open the throttle and then crank the starter. It would then fire right away. Could be the same problem you experienced?

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
I think it had that cough like it was flooded cause it cranked so long to start.. so it had all that fuel in there. but yet, it fired up 2.5 hrs later at work and then 3.5 hrs after that with no problem. This is really frigin weird