General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet paint....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmet paint....

what kind of paint did you use to paint a helmet? my helmet is starting to peel....can i use just regular spray paint or does it have to be a special paint?.....what steps does it include?

Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Default RE: helmet paint....

I was always told something about not being allowed to paint a helmet but then again who listens to those kind of rules anyways? If I am wrong correct me someone because I am here to learn, I just thought something in the thinner or something could mess with the shell. Whatever, I don't know for sure.

-Berg

Old 05-04-2006, 10:06 PM

I redid mine this winter when I redid my bike. You could use spray paint but its not going to last at all. Your best bet is to paint it just as you would a car or your bike. I sanded mine down to the outter shell getting all the paint and decals off. Next I used a high build primer on it to hide some slight scratches and imperfections. After that I sprayed the base coat onto it. I got fancy and masked out some silver flames etc... on it and then shot the silver next. After that came my red pearl mixed with some of the base coat. Finally was the clear coat. What you have to be careful off is to make sure that they helmet is dust free before you spray it at all. Personally I'm fortunate enough to own a shop like TRG Coating but we also do liquid coatings to so I have all the equipment at my disposal, as well as the experience in spraying. If you wanted to do this at home you could still get away with it by getting a relatively in expensive gun from a body shop supply store as well as the paints, thinners, primers, clears, and hardeners that you would need. Just explain to the guy at the shop what you're trying to do and he can pick out what you'll need. If you have any questions you can shoot me a pm.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 PM

+1 on what BBLineBacker81 said.

All manufacturers tell you not to paint helmets due to the possible damage that can be done to the shell by the "chemicals" you're adding to the surface. It may seem like they just want more of your money, but I think it's a valid point they make. However it is your money, your helmet and your brain... do what you need to do. But I don't think it's a great idea.

My $0.02.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM

A question that came to mind is what type of paints do helmet manufactures use? Are the paints and whatever chemicals are in them specifically design for helmets?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:29 PM

The way I look at it is if your helmet is old enough to peel, chip, and fade it's probably out dated and time for a new one. Another thing if the paint is that bad what does the inside look like? Eeeewww!! Yuck!![sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 PM

If you paint the helmet it will void any warranty and liability the helmet manufacturer would have if you got serisouly injured because the helmet failed or any injury for that matter. if it were my helmet i would just scuff the outside clear coat and primer basecoat clear over that. Call the manufaturer and ask them what kinda paint they use. Don't have to tell them you are painting yours or anything they might not give that information up if they think you are going to be messing around with it. If its not something you've done before it might take you some practice before you get it right. and if you dont' have the materials and the right space to do it in it is probably just better to take it somewhere and pay them for the saved aggrivation and headaches

Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 PM

I was told the color is in the molded shell of the helmet, then there's the clear coat of the outer shell.