General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wrap?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Wrap?

Is it true that wrapping your headers will reduce your oil/engine temp? It makes sense but are there any cons to doing this? Excesive moisture? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM

It's def true for cars, so I can't see why not for bikes. Moisture condenses form cold and humidity, not heat. DEI makes some really nice header wrap. be aware that your engine runs most efficiently at 225 degrees, so you don't want to dip below that too far. Header wrapping is generally reserved for cars whos engines are beyond pushed far being normal limits, and it's really, really hard to do that to a Honda.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:05 PM

If you're on a budget, Subway also makes some really good hot wraps:

FIVE DOLLA FOOT LOOOOOOOONGS

Old 08-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
It's def true for cars, so I can't see why not for bikes. Moisture condenses form cold and humidity, not heat. DEI makes some really nice header wrap. be aware that your engine runs most efficiently at 225 degrees, so you don't want to dip below that too far. Header wrapping is generally reserved for cars whos engines are beyond pushed far being normal limits, and it's really, really hard to do that to a Honda.

your engine runs most efficiently at 225 degrees? where did you here that?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM

Sorry, your right. Should be 170-200.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by shawnyc01f4i
Is it true that wrapping your headers will reduce your oil/engine temp? It makes sense but are there any cons to doing this? Excesive moisture? Thanks!
Yes shawnyc01f4i, itīs true that it will reduce temperature but I donīt recommend doing it because of ( as you well said it) excessive moisture generated and trapped in between the headers and wrap.

Iīve seen R1īs with corroded headers and exhaust pipes due to prolonged use of said wrap. Mind you that these bikes had the wrap for about 1 1/2 years and when we removed it, we were shocked.
I donīt know if the location and weather as something to do with that, but after seeing what I saw, Iīll never do it.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

ya wat ^ said, heat wrap is cool for cars but you really dont need it on today's bikes, and in sum cases it does more damage because your trapping the heat inside the wrap instead of it dispersing offf the header liek it should normally. just flush your system and run engine ice, it works dude.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Thats it! Thanks guys, I'm going to spend the money at Subway on some hot wraps instead

Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you have titanium headers?

Old 04-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Default Yes Heat Wrap

Hello group I am new here I ride a 2005 Honda CBR 1000rr that I ride hard but take very well care of. That being said lets get into it. Yes, it is correct about exhaust wrap COULD get moisture in it and cause the pipe to corrode/rust. To prevent this you have to be smart about wrapping. Take your time and do it right the first time and you can leave it on for years to come. First you need to remove your exhaust and if your wrapping the headers you need to remove those as well personally I only wrap down to where it splits to a Y-shape. Next you need to wipe them down very well clean the pipes and make sure they are completely clean and dry. Next you need to use a VHT silicone spray on them spray a light even coat let it dry for about 3-5min. Lay a second heavier coat let that dry completely. Next you need to lightly dampen the wrap or use a spray bottle and mist as you go but do not soak the wrap all the water does is make it stick to itself better and help aide in the wrapping process. Once you wrap the pipes taking your time and making sure they are as tight as possible this is best done with a friend(helper). Put on your metal zip ties as tight as possible snip off the excess leave a little bit and fold it over with some needle nose pliers. Next take the vht silicone spray again and you need to spray a nice light even coat covering the entire wrap/pipe. Wait a few minutes come back and spray a much heavier 2nd coat let it sit over night to dry/cure and your done! The VHT high temp Silicone spray seals the wrap to the pipe and protects it from moisture. New wrap will smoke for a little while don't worry it's not going to set on fire that's normal with new wrap. Then once every year 1/2 to 2 yrs depending on how frequently I rode that previous season I usually do it right at the begining of next riding season take the pipe off and reapply another 1 nice even coat of that VHT high temp Silicon spray to the wrap again and you should never have a problem. Think of it as waxing hardwood floors if you reapply the wax every so often you never will have to resurface the floors aka spend the big $$$$$ fixing ****. Hope this helps and I take no responsibility for anyones inability!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat Wrap?