General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight conversion

i know this has been done as ive seen it before, but i'm not the greatest when it comes to electrical aspects of the bike.

is there a "how to" write up on how to switch your head lights from being 1 on for low beams, and both for high?

i dont like the look of only having 1 headlight on. i want both to be on for low beam, and preferably both to be on for high beams.

i've got an 02 f4i if its needed. and i've done some searching, but couldnt find what i was looking for.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve0o09
i know this has been done as ive seen it before, but i'm not the greatest when it comes to electrical aspects of the bike.

is there a "how to" write up on how to switch your head lights from being 1 on for low beams, and both for high?

i dont like the look of only having 1 headlight on. i want both to be on for low beam, and preferably both to be on for high beams.

i've got an 02 f4i if its needed. and i've done some searching, but couldnt find what i was looking for.
a lot of manufacturers sell HID kits, and are sold in a pair, both with low/high.
id look into those.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, although it may not be on this forum. I found a how-to via a Google search. It involves adding one relay and a resistor so that when the high beam is in low beam mode the output on that side is only about 40% brightness to make both sides look similar.

If you're going to use the stock lights it has to done that way because the high and low beams use the same type bulb, just the reflector inside the housing is different.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
a lot of manufacturers sell HID kits, and are sold in a pair, both with low/high.
id look into those.
These are the projector Kits.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM

i didnt know that HID kits automatically converted it, thanks!!!

i'm plannin on doing orange halos and angle eyes, with a purple xenon 30k hid bulb because i painted my bike to be a chameleon that changes from purple, to gold, to yellow, to orange, and there's a hint of pink. its gunna be pretty damn sweet.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM

i didnt know that HID kits automatically converted it, thanks!!!

i'm plannin on doing orange halos and angle eyes, with a purple xenon 30k hid bulb because i painted my bike to be a chameleon that changes from purple, to gold, to yellow, to orange, and there's a hint of pink. its gunna be pretty damn sweet.
I simple HID kit will not change it for you, You will need to buy a projector kit.
Also the 30,000k HID's will suck at night and in the rain, So I hope you don't plan to do alot of back road driving at night.

Post a pic of your bike to show the paint job

Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffjones
These are the projector Kits.
haha i had to reread, i thought he meant he wants both eyes to light up instead of one.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
haha i had to reread, i thought he meant he wants both eyes to light up instead of one.
Ya I think that is what he wants, a basic HID kit will be H7's for an F4i which don't come in Hi/Lo, they just come in one brightness. The projectors will use either a H4 or Dsr or something like that bulb which is a Hi/Lo bulb.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Here's the how-to article with the added resistor and relay for dual low beam function with stock headlights:

Dual Headlights

Here's another article using H4 bulbs:

How-To Dual Headlights

Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM

yea i want HID's that have both headlights with a high/low beam and they must be purple. anyone got any suggestions then on which to get? i do alot of night riding, but never ride in the rain. and i'm sure that anything will be better then my 1 high bulb anyways lol.

ill post up some pics of my bike in another thread!

Quick Reply: headlight conversion