General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a little trouble-Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a little trouble-Please help

2 days ago I wastold that mybike ('01 929) seems to be running little rich. I was just riding the bike 2 days ago. Now my bike won't start. Bike turns over and sounds like it wants to start. Battery is fine and spark plugs were changed in December. Could this be related to it running a little rich? If so, what can I do to fix this. Any help????? Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Default RE: Having a little trouble-Please help

Its full injected, the only way it will run rich is if you have a power programmer and set it that way. Might be a fuse, loose battery connection or your starter silenoid.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 PM

If it was me, I'd be getting them plugs out for a look. Sounds like they are damp/fouled. Check your air filter also, as if thats dirty, it'll make the bike run rich and foul your plugs.
My 2 cents.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:53 PM

I went and bought new plugs. I'm gonna take a look at them today. How will I know if they are fouled? If they are ,then is it just a matter of replacing the plugs? Or do I ned to do something before replacing the plugs?? Thanks alot for the help so far.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Err

does your fuel pump prime when you turn the key?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM

What does it sound like when it "primes" or how would I know? Sorry so many questions. Thanks

Old 02-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Err

you should hear a whinning sound when you turn the key.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Yes it does prime. Seems to want to start. But here recently there seems to be a little black/gray smoke.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Yep, sounds like the plugs are fouled. You can tell how well an engine is working by looking at the plugs. In the case of a rich running engine the electrodes will be oily/damp with dirt, and thats not good for starting. That dark smoke is the oil on the plugs burning off. It is possible to clean them (gently!) but that is frowned upon by some. If in doubt, swap them over with some new ones and make sure the gap is set (see your manual). That all said and done, you gotta know why its running rich in the firsr place or it'll just do it again sooner or later. Check the air filter as you have to go near it anyway. Give it a clean or replace it if its near needing doing. Have you put on a new exhaust? If not set up, that could explain it, although most newer bikes will run on regardless. Even flooding the engine on a cold morning trying to start the thing could foul the plugs.
Fouled plugs are quite common, and a good clean usually does the trick.
Regards

Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 PM

No nothing new on the bike. I bought new plugs today and will have them swapped out within the next day or two. If the plugs are fouled. Do I need to do anything before I place the new plugs in. Also I have a K&N Air filter. How do I go about cleaning it? I don't have a cleaning kit. What works best? Is it as simple as running water on it to loosen up thew gunk? Thanks again

Quick Reply: Having a little trouble-Please help