General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle Bar Shake between 50-60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handle Bar Shake between 50-60 MPH

Hey guys, searched for this, and nothing came up.

As most of you know, I lowsided my bike on the highway at 70 mph a couple of weeks ago. The bike rode normal, until I let off my handlebars today going about 55 mph. The handlebars quiver or shake just a little to cause a small vibration in the front. If I go over 60, it goes away, and if I go under 50, it goes away. But if I stay between 51-59, the handlebars shake a little.

So, anyone know if this is a bent wheel, bent fork, bent triple tree, alignment, etc?

I'm horrible a diagnosing my own bikes problems.

I'm taking it to the shop on Tuesday to have the whole bike checked out, but I would like to have an idea of what it could be before I take it in.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handle Bar Shake between 50-60 MPH

Being down at those speeds, I'd have to say listen to people on here, but trust the mechanic more.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM

either rim is just out of balance, or the rim is bent. when my rim was bent, you could feel it at all speeds

Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: krash

either rim is just out of balance, or the rim is bent. when my rim was bent, you could feel it at all speeds
i agree, rotors could be too. hopefully its just your tire needs balanced.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 PM

if it's that speed sensitive chances are it's the tire balance, if not then the rim may be slightly bent, though you would probably feel a pretty dramatic vibration at lower speeds if thats the case

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Retired Moderator

No, all day I was testing it out trying to see if the handle bars would shake at any other speed, and it only shook between 50-60, though, the bike vibrates a little more than Captain Slow's 600RR. When I take it in on Tuesday, I'll have them test ride it and see what they think.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd check all of what was mentioned above along with the bearings in the fork head.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 AM

My bike has done it from new, had it checked out by several places, checked bearings (wheel & steering head) wheel etc, even different brands tyres make sod all diff. Never been a problem though, pounded it over some totally crap roads, & even going light in the front over a crest, never had any wukkin furries mate.
Still if it wasn't doing it before, then have it checked out. I find that if I hold on to the handle bars when I ride solves the problem

Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

I find that if I hold on to the handle bars when I ride solves the problem
LOL! Yeah, that kind of does cure the problem.

The reason I let go of the bars in the first place is because I felt the vibration more during that speed and let go just to see and they were shaking (which they have never done before the lowside, so I'm sure something got tweaked a little)

I'm just hoping that

A. It's tweaked to the point of costing more than $700 to repair, and I wouldn't feel bad claiming the whole thing under insurance.
B. It's a minor repair requiring very little funds to be withdrawn from the wallet.

I would really like it to be something simple, but at the same time, it would be nice to have the rashed fairings, frame slider, mirror, signal and rear fender all replaced under insurance. I pay for it, might as well use it.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Often times after a spill, sometimes all it takes is loosing of the bolts on the triple clamp. (kind of lets things go back to normal) & doing them up again. Did not want to seem like I was being a smart **** with my reply, but I'm a sarcastic bastard at the best of times. lol.

Quick Reply: Handle Bar Shake between 50-60 MPH