General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bar rubber loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handle bar rubber loose

I took the rubber off my handle bar today and now any time I go to wide open throttle the rubber just kind of spins. Any way to prevent this? Just use crazy glue? If anything it seems at the end its loose not the middle or top towards the switch

Last edited by Krux; 01-13-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Maybe time for some new grips. Crazy glue will proy work, but when its time to replace them its gonna be a pita to get it off.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM

ive heard all sorts of "fixs" for loose grips and they all fail. new grips are relatively cheap and were talkin about safety too!
QUESTION:
do you guys have little threadid plugs a bit back inside the bar? i wanted to put on bar ends, and i found bolts that fit through mine and thread into these bits inside the bar, but the threading inside just spins before the ends tighten down. did these come w. the bars or are they remnants of an old barend system? how do they come out? not by pulling on the bolt thats threaded in to them.
any HELP?
ps. compressed air is great for "floating grips on and off" if you dont have it the shop oughta do it cheap. OR you stick a thin stiff wire(bicycle spoke etc...) under the grip and drip water in, to break the vaccum roll the wire around the circ. of the bar- grip slides right off. wet grip slides om- water ONLY! no lube no glue no hairspray...
its worked well for me anyway- hope it helps.
seriously- do you guys have little threaded plugs jammed deep in the end of your bars?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 AM

Funny thing was it was fine yesterday till I pulled it off then it "wasn't as tight" as before. Eventually i'll have to get new ones

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah just get some new grips man, I like pro-grip. They're pretty cheap and work good. The grips you get should be such a tight fit that it would be very hard to get them on just by hand. Then you use compressed air and blow it in to the grip as you're pushing them on which expands the grips some and let's it slip on easy.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM

dude i, like, totally- just said that.
anyway its not that it expands it really- more it gives a sort of hovercraft effect and doesnt let it stick-
er.
well yeah it pretty much expands it.
(seriousl - water works in lieu of compressed air if need be , but you cant ride for like a day or so till it drys out. problem if its frozen.)

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leo-
Never had my grips off on my CBR, but as an oldschool BMX'r I'm imagining what your describing to be like a "Three-Piece-Grip" style set-up. If that's so, then the threaded part inside the handlebar is either a different size thread then the replacement, has upset (damaged) threads, or is simply floating around inside the bar, and not allowing you go get a bite in order to start tightening the screw.
Whatever the case may be, (if that is indeed the principle on which these work), you need to remove the inserts, to either repair them, or replace them. and when you install the new grips, its easier to sub assemble the grip, get the insert in there loose, with the endcap on, then slide the grip on. when it is in place, tighten the screw to draw the insert in tight.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 PM

thanks shadowfax-
the threads are right. its the insert inside my metal tube of the clip on bar itself- not a grip thing exactly- and its just stuck in there but spins?
it seems like a metal plug w rubber around it gripping (sort of) the i.d. of the bar-
thanks again for the ideas- and yes all my mech. understanding comes from the kind w pedals- i raced track untill last year

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 AM

Those inserts are for your bar ends.You should be able to just screw the bolts to hold your bar ends.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

grip glue or yellow snot from 3M

Quick Reply: Handle bar rubber loose