General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grease chain??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease chain??

Hey guys as most of you know i just bought me my first bike like 2 weeks ago and was curious on how often should u grease your chain or change your chain as well?? Thanks guys

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM

every fuel fill up, the more often you lube the chain the longer it will last. if i lubed it once a month it would not last ten thousand miles the way i ride. i lube it every time i fill up for gas and i getlike twenty to twenty-five thousand miles out a chain. if not more. just my own experiance

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM

Every fill up!? What do you use? I do the 500 mile gig. It's easy to remember and I'm too lazy to do it more often. I would rather just buy a new one then clean it very often. I just switched to belray super clean and will never use anything else. It is the first time I haven't had to clean my wheels after lubing! Anybody that's in my area can come pick up my cans of pj1 or mfr (full) . I will just give them away. I have heard of chains lasting from a few thousand to over 30k. That's a funny dating site comment in your profile Brent.

Last edited by cc rider; 05-30-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzosport9
Hey guys as most of you know i just bought me my first bike like 2 weeks ago and was curious on how often should u grease your chain or change your chain as well?? Thanks guys
GREASE your chain? Never. If you meant LUBE your chain then I do it every 500 miles or so. I use DuPont Teflon multi-use lube in the blue can, found at Lowe's.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

+1 on the dupont, stuff is awesome. I like the honda chain lube w/ graphite as a close second.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
GREASE your chain? Never. If you meant LUBE your chain then I do it every 500 miles or so. I use DuPont Teflon multi-use lube in the blue can, found at Lowe's.

Okay great is their anything else i need? i looked at my chain last night and i couldn't believe how it looked so dirty and maybe a little red is that real bad?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Its the same thing just different packaging.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzosport9
Okay great is their anything else i need? i looked at my chain last night and i couldn't believe how it looked so dirty and maybe a little red is that real bad?
Maybe something like a Grunge Brush to clean it before lubing.

Here's a video on the procedure:

Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 PM

The moto pro moly lube from cycle gear is by far best I've used for how I ride. (24/7, touring, commuting) I have tried them all. Moly is the slickest **** on the planet. there is a reason why engine assemblers use it to assemble engines. Don't have to warm up chain, leaves no mess, is dry and fling proof in three mins flat. Of coarse for fair-weather riders any lube will suffice.(No offense) lube is lube when you don't ride extreme or in harsh conditions or once a month ect...

Quick Reply: Grease chain??