General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gouged, damaged rims from motorcycle repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gouged, damaged rims from motorcycle repair shop

Im looking for advice about rims that were damaged while being mounted and balanced by my "favorite neighborhood" suzuki/yamaha shop here in Provo.. These rims were brand new from the factory in 2005, tires were even original, never changed out yet. Not to mention I always do my own work, never taking anything to a shop to avoid stuff like this.

I picked up the wheels this morning, put them in my trunk, and worked for a few hours, then taking them to my own shop after I was off, when I noticed the horrendous gouge in the rim

They dont open back up until monday. Is there anything I can do? I want a new rim? Do I have any say in the matter,(especially since I left without looking at it in the first place) and having them remedying this situation? Any suggestions?

Ive mounted tires, with good and bad tires, this was absolutely negligent with no regard for care to the rim or my bike. There was also a ridiculous amount of soap caked on the side wall Any help would be appriciated

Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take pictures and post them here. Are you sure they're actually damaged as opposed to scratched and aesthetically damaged?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM

Sounds like they were in a rush, didn't use rim guards, and got a little careless with the steel tire irons. A good shop will stand behind their work, take pics, leave a message at the shop, and take it back in monday.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Been having trouble uploading a photo or two of it. But I got a chance to have a word with them about it. In fact, the tech that worked on my wheels was standing there waiting for me Haha, he knew I would be back! Ended up talking to the owner, needless to say they have quite a bit of integrity in their shop, and he ordered a new OEM wheel with no quarrel after 20 minutes. Very pleased with the outcome, no one touches or works on my bike but this shop and myself, and this is precisely why. I fully recommend this shop, the local honda shops are absolute garbage around here.

Turns out their tire machine spun it out of control, machine was a bit old he said. The new wheel also costs $700 Retail. Thanks guys for the support and suggestions!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

a pleasantly surprising ending.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:41 AM

Integrity would mean being honest before you left the shop , oh well a good outcome nonetheless.

Try using photobucket or imageshack to upload a pic, then just post the link.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Glad you got it taken care of, still post up pics though I'm curious. Use imgur.com or photobucket.com or the like