General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a few questions - F2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a few questions - F2

Ok guys. I finally got my 1992 cbr 600 f2 out of the shop. Ok so my first question is. And yes I know it a noob question but... What type of gas do I use. I have been putting in super unleaded. But don't know if I should only put reg unleaded or premium..

Next question. I put bike in shop for overheating. Got it out and temp gauge is still spiking. But bike is not steaming or blowing out coolant overflow so I'm pretty sure gauge is screwed up. The gauge light is not coming on either. So might be a wiring problem But this still makes me edgy when riding......which by the way is the best fun I ever had.

So plz anyone with any answers feel free to reply.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

use regular. your compression isn't high enough to cause pinging, so you shouldn't use premium.

don't know about the gauge problem, i'd have to dig into it more and find out.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

If you ride alot put the cheapest gas you can in it. If the bike sits alot you may want to run higher octane gas as gas octane drops fairly quickly the older it gets.

If the bike is truly not over heating then you may just need to replace the temp sending unit.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Ok thx I'll start using reg gas then cuz I get it at like $3.30 a gallon at the moment lol. And I will check into the temp sending unit. Cuz I totally want to narrow down that problem

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does you fan come on when engine gets hot?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 AM

i would say flush the coolant and put some long life AL friendly coolant in. and switch to mid range to high grade gas.
also check your plugs and wires, and put around 1/3 to 1/2 of injector cleaner in with some 94 gas (general tune up stuff)
this should take care of the high heat problem.

my fan comes on at around 80-90 range.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM

yeah the fan does come on after a while for a min or two. I cant tell if it does when im on highway tho. I tested it just sitting there idleing and the temp gauge spiked after like 15 min and fan finally came on then shut off. But of course the bike will get hot just sitting there not running in motion.

and The shop put new plugs in and put that coolant brand called ICE in which is supposed to be the best out there. I thought about WATER WETTER. but not sure.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM

How can they tell it’s the 'best' I would call it one of the best maybe but THE best...? I don’t know.

Water wetter is good but you have to mix it right, can’t just put a bottle in call it a day. Red liner also makes a good one but they are pretty much all the same. They add stuff to the coolant to make it transfer heat better not really drop the temp. That is set by the thermostat and the fan.

When you are moving you really don’t need a fan, the motion of the bike will pass enough air through the rad to keep it cool, fan is good for getting stuck in traffic or slow rides or like you said, parking it and sitting still.

So if your coolant is new and your fan is working, you’re doing well.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM

If your bike was overheating, I would recommend using the highest octane-rated fuel available until you're positive that the issue has been resolved, just as a safety net. Mild compression is good for resisting pre-detonation, but overly-high operating temperatures encourage it. What's the difference really...maybe an additional $1.00-$2.00 per fill up?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Ok i got an update on my bike. Well.... So yesterday, which was wed. I rode my bike up to work to let my boss use his temp gun on it. The gun read about 240 on the head cap. and 400 on headers. So it running hot. So he said if the temp gauge goes in the red, pull over and let it cool down. I was like great. So i go to leave, i get on highway and about a mile down theres traffic due to an over turn trailer that lost it's load. After a min or two of stop and go, i notice my gauge reach red line, I constantly checked for steam or coolant. Nothing so far. A min later the gauge is in middle of red temp line. So I waited for a stop and looked for steam , but nothing.. until i noticed hot coolant on my foot and a puddle around my bike. I pulled over toi the inside shoulder which is about 2 feet wide. YEAH A 18 WHEELER ALMOST CLIPPED ME. scary stuff. I get on the phone and call suzuki shop, They said they will come get me. but to get to a safer place. SO i wait for cooldown then exit nearest exit. SO i live in texas, and it is around 96 degrees. I didnt pack water in my backpack, nad im wearing sleevless shirt under my gear. i got super bad sunburned cuz i waited close to 3 hours. SO now my bike back in shop. Oh and the guy gave me some crap about .." oh it s sport bike, it gonna over heat, it liek putting a drag car in traffic". I was like no it is not. All my friends have sport bike even the 1300 busa. and they have no problems. I told him to fix it right.
so ill see where what happens and keep yall informed.

sorry about the long story, just needed to vent a bit

Quick Reply: Got a few questions - F2