General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I recently read about some people using chain saw lube with good results. They say you should wipe off the excess after applying but that it does a good job and for a lot lower cost than the official motorcycle chain lubes.

I don't use WD-40 on my chain. I've heard too many bad things about it and what it can do to an O-ring chain. Also, WD-40 is a penetrant and thus it could get past the O-rings and breakdown the grease inside.

i use STIHL chainsaw oil and it works awesome. gotta figure that if its not going to fly off a chainsaw its not going to fly of your bike..and it doesnt. i would reccomend this to anyone.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Grunge Brush and i use Pro Honda HP Chain Lube. =)

Old 08-17-2010, 04:04 PM

I brush kerosene onto the chain, wait a couple minutes, then spray it with a garden hose. No scrubbing necessary. Dry the chain, then lube with 90 weight gear oil. It doesn't cost much and one bottle will last for years even if you use it once a week. Just my .

Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I forgot about the grunge brush. I just got one a few months ago. Best $12 I ever spent. I got mine from moto superstore with a tire order. Good call.

then lube with 90 weight gear oil. It doesn't cost much and one bottle will last for years even if you use it once a week. Just my .
I used gear oil for a while, but dam... what a mess. Ever tried wax? It's good stuff. Spray it on a warm chain, let it "dry" and it won't make a mess like oil.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I've used pretty much every type of lube you can imagine, and you're right that gear oil can be messy. I average about 100-150 miles a day on my bike and that adds up to a lot of chain lube. I don't mind a little fling off when you consider how much money I save, and the mess isn't too bad when you use the oil sparingly.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator - Retired

Whatever works for you, man. I kinda did the same thing with ammo reloading. I used dillon case lube for the longest time, and now I use regular mobil 1 motor oil. lol.. (it works better than case lube, I always have it, and it doesn't cost $10/bottle)

Yeah, I've used pretty much every type of lube you can imagine
Ha, me too. I use eezox for rust prevention on the sprockets and chain when new. I've used maxima wax, mobil gear oil, motorkote, WD, CLP, and PJ1.

Honestly, I've been using straight up WD40 for the past like 8,000 miles. I did use motorkote a couple times in between to try it out. 2 adjustments so far. We shall see.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Maxim chain wax here as well, i usually just used basic chain lube on the honda and would let it sit before riding, was in a bind getting the busa back on the road and used the same lube, chrome wheel, swing arm entire back of the bikes chrome, spent 2 hours cleaning all the lube off everything.
Wont touch anything but chain wax now!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yeah, like the 3" thick gobs of crap on the front sprocket cover that you need a putty knife and a half a can of WD to get out.
It's clean lubes for me from here on out. Eezox for rust prevention, WD40 to clean/lube, and sometimes some motorkote.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:59 AM

thank god i dont have anything chrome then.. black hides the dirt lol. that brush looks like it works wonders... maybe mix that with some kerosene and itll be spotless daily lol. i neglect the chain for now... i really need to look into just getting a new chain asap. rear sprocket looks ok.. might just need to not cheap out and replace both sprockets and the chain for good measure here soon. then ill get on the ball with the chain cleaning. i might just go with the gear oil....readily available....cheap.. and it definately goes a long way. i see the abuse that stuff takes in differentials every day and im sold on its anti-wear abilities. hell why not... i use transmission fluid as cutting oil when drilling thru steel lol. use it to cut valves.... if it wasnt so thin id use that on the chain lmao.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM

I like the Motul chain lube personally. Just be careful with application cause it sticks to fairings!

Quick Reply: good chain lube?