General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a few used bikes Saturday..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to look at a few used bikes Saturday..

Unfortunately, I won't be looking at any F4i's as I was originally hoping for since they're all sold. As a matter of fact, almost any Honda in my price range seems to have already been sold or is in such horrible shape physically in the pictures that I don't want to even bother seeing them first-hand.
What I've been able to find in my price range are a couple '00-'01 R1s and an '01 R6. I know this isn't a Yamaha forum, but I've already posted on a Yamaha board and thought maybe I could get some advice from the knowledgeable people here as well since maybe some of you have had experience with '00-'01 Yamahas.

Things on my checklist:
Suspension travel
Front fork stops for wear/collision (I dunno what they're called)
Fluids
Exhaust/Engine note for unusual clicks/clunks/etc.
Frame Slider mounts to check for wear

Anything else I'm missing? I had some issues with my last used bike and I'm trying to be a bit more wary this time around.... especially considering these bikes are nearing the decade mark.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 ...if i could not find a Honda.....i would be on a yammaha...and YOU need to decide if you want a liter bike or a 600,, they are two different animals....and be patient , dont get bike drunk and buy on impulse ..youve got the rite idea with what you listed, good luck and be willin to travel a little to find yoo a Honda...craigs list is a great tool...peece

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I'd use Craigslist. There are too many horror stories lately. Of people getting jacked when they go to pay. And receiving stolen bikes.

The one good thing about ebay & paypal is the buyer protection and separation between the buyer & seller. Something goes wrong (bike turns out to be stolen) and getting your money back is a lot easier. Add some extra $$$ and you can get delivery to your door.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM

dont be a kook kuro...if you do the deal at the DMV alls good....picked up several bikes and cars off CR.....

Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM

Yamaha makes some awesome bikes. The main thing that I know of on those years would be the head bearings. They have a habit of loosening up, expecially if the person did wheelies on the bike. Also, second gear could be an issue for a person that clutched up wheelies on the R1.

If you test them, make sure to one.. wit the bike in neutral, grab the front brake and rock the bike back and forth. If you feel or hear a clunk in the handle bars, it is more than likely a loose or worn head bearing. secondly, (mainly for theR1), take the bike for a ride and while in second gear, lug the bike down a bit, and give it full throttle. You want to make sure it doesn't kick out of gear. Just make sure your under the power range or you will be looking at the sky. The early year R1's were really wheelie happy.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 AM

I know the two are completely different. I'm currently in Korea doing some work and plan on returning to the US in August where I'll purchase the bike of my dreams, depending on where my dreams lie then. Unfortunately, there are no local bikes for me to buy, I'm travelling two hours (2 hours by bus anyways) to the country's capitol to check out these bikes. I plan on bringing cash in hand so they can let me test ride them and since I'm spending the night in Seoul, I plan on looking around, sleeping on it for a night and I'll buy it if I still want to in the morning. Craigstlist would be nice, but there aren't any foreigners on Craigslist selling bikes in Korea right now.

Damn I wish there were still some F4i's around here.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being in a different country certainly creates an interesting dynamic. ;-) If you have a buddy that knows bikes, see if he'll go w/ you. Two sets of eyes are better than one, & often notice or think of things you might forget. Use common sense...if something/anything doesn't seem right - walk. Best of luck.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Alright, well, I've also thought that maybe I should consider a local brand; Hyosung. The reason being that it will definitely be resellable and they offer a 650 which is around 80 hp or so and now they're fuel injected. The biggest reason is that I can get a 2009/2010 model for the price of a '00/'01 R1, R6, F4i, 929RR, etc. That would mean I could buy one with a warranty. The downside I see to all of this is that it's a v-twin and I had a Hyosung 250 this past season and the thing died on me for various reasons, the main reason I was told that because it's a v-twin that I wasn't supposed to ride it like I was (i.e. keep it in the middle of the rev range and ride it like a granny) and they are heavy, I think like 460 pounds heavy (208 kg).

Maybe it's because I'm basing this on forum knowledge, it just seems that finding a good reliable bike in that 2000/2001 year range is nearly impossible and I really don't feel like dealing with any more headache due to mechanical failures. What would you guys do?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
Alright, well, I've also thought that maybe I should consider a local brand; Hyosung. The reason being that it will definitely be resellable and they offer a 650 which is around 80 hp or so and now they're fuel injected. The biggest reason is that I can get a 2009/2010 model for the price of a '00/'01 R1, R6, F4i, 929RR, etc. That would mean I could buy one with a warranty. The downside I see to all of this is that it's a v-twin and I had a Hyosung 250 this past season and the thing died on me for various reasons, the main reason I was told that because it's a v-twin that I wasn't supposed to ride it like I was (i.e. keep it in the middle of the rev range and ride it like a granny) and they are heavy, I think like 460 pounds heavy (208 kg).

Maybe it's because I'm basing this on forum knowledge, it just seems that finding a good reliable bike in that 2000/2001 year range is nearly impossible and I really don't feel like dealing with any more headache due to mechanical failures. What would you guys do?
i preferably not get the hyosung had a friend who had one and he always had problems with it and the resale here isnt jack.. i like the 01 to 03 gsxr's other than an f4i but id roll with an r1 if yamaha is in your sights

Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 PM

look around the head for water leaks. Over heat the bike a few good times and you've warped it. Blown head gasket will do that to. Or fluid coming from any part of the engine. But thats a no brainier.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a few used bikes Saturday..