General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

God I feel stupid asking this. ><

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont feel confident riding it, look for a bit of a hill. Sit on the bike and pull the clutch in. Roll yourself down the hill and keep pressure on the shift lever. You should feel it pop down a gear, just keep doing that until you cant do down anymore. You should be able to roll it back and forth with the clutch pulled in and click down the gears. Bikes tend to get stuck in gear sometimes if you do what you did.

Also, if you are at a stop light and put it in neutral you may have to do the rocking method to get back in gear. NEVER put your bike in neutral while at a light. Especially when you are the only one at the light. Especially as a new rider. If you are at the front of a pack of cars at the light and you have many behind you that are stopped, and you feel you need to strech then put it in neutral. Just make sure to pay attention and always get back in gear before the lights change.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM

I would also suggest some sort of Motorcycle safety course to help you figure out the whole riding thing, or at least some instruction by an experienced rider.

Not sure where you are from but this is a link to the MSF site which runs courses here in the U.S. they will help you learn the basics, on their bike allowing you to learn without putting your new pride and joy at risk.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

this reminds me, when i first got my bike i thought that neut was all the way down. That is, when i put it into neut i thought that was as low as the shifter would go. (I didnt try to go any further) I continued on this way using second as my first until figured out i should have more power in my "first" gear.

You do know that neut is all the way down and one up right?
(In case the hand method didnt click.)

Don't get to anxious about taking her out and throwing miles on. Start small work your way up.

I second the MSF.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM

Ok.
I'll give her a go walking her forward and rocking a little, it really sounds like I just made a rookie mistake by trying to change with the motor off. :P

For reference, yeah, I've seen the neutral light on. It was on every time I flicked the iginition to on until I tried changing gears.

And also - Thanks to the guy with the finger method! I also thought neutral was just as far down as the shifter would go, but I understand what you mean now about it being between first and second. :P

Will post back with the results - If it doesn't work I'm going to call the dealer.
It shouldn't be anything serious, at least, I hope not. >:

Thanks all for your help!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Ok. Well I tried rocking it and it's solved the gear sticking issue.
I can now successfully shift all 6 gears up and down.
The bike still doesn't seem to want to hit Neutral though, which is probably just my inexperience shifting the gears.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks of how to find it?

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I would also suggest some sort of Motorcycle safety course to help you figure out the whole riding thing, or at least some instruction by an experienced rider.

Not sure where you are from but this is a link to the MSF site which runs courses here in the U.S. they will help you learn the basics, on their bike allowing you to learn without putting your new pride and joy at risk.

http://www.msf-usa.org/
+1 For sure ~ if your having trouble now, imagine once you get the bike moving. Hay caramba!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito
+1 For sure ~ if your having trouble now, imagine once you get the bike moving. Hay caramba!
Heh, yeah. I'm in Aussieland actually, so our laws a pretty strict, in Queensland at least..
Gotta be 18 and have had a car license (at what's called P2 level, basically an open license but with power restrictions) to even get a bike learners.
And to ride I've gotta be being followed (or have on the pillion) someone whose held an open bike license for 5 years.

We also have a thing called Q-Ride that I'll be doing. It's basically a how to ride course, so yeah. ~.<

Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 AM

Ah-ha! I got it!

Turns out I got some wrong advice.
I was pressing the shifter down thinking that was up gear. So, pretty much I was starting in 6th thinking that was 1st.
Found out I was wrong, and I've got it in Neutral again and I'm stoked.

Now I can start riding! And hopefully not dying!

Thanks guys!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Sounds good. Have fun and be careful.
One of your first stops should be the riding gear shop. (that is if you have the mula)

Check this place out. Alpinestars

Quick Reply: God I feel stupid asking this. ><