General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

God I feel stupid asking this. ><

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God I feel stupid asking this. ><

First, hi all. I'm new to these forums, riding bikes and CBRs.

Just bought my first bike (CBR250R, '89 import model) from a dealer yesterday.

Bike was in good condition, sounded nice and all.
Anyway, I decided to fiddle with the bike while the engine was off just to get a feel of how I need to move while riding.

I decided to start with gear changes.
Pulled in the clutch, popped it up a few, and back down. Just to get the feel.

And so now, the bike doesn't want to go back to neutral.
With the clutch out I can feel that it's in gear (won't move forwards/backwards very far).
And I know that the clutch works because when I depress it the bike moves freely.

I just can't seem to get her to shift back to neutral, and I don't want to start it up in 1st or 2nd or whatever gear it's stuck in because I don't know if I can. ><
Lol.

Thanks in advance guys,
Don't mind my idiocy - I'm new, I have an excuse!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

I tried and I definately felt a difference in the gear changes, noth up and down.

However the shifter seems like it's getting stuck before hitting neutral.
I think it's getting stuck in first.

The feel of going up and down with the engine on was that I felt the shifter move easialy, then I felt a real click in the shifter as it goes up and down.
When it's getting stuck it just has the easy first movement, but not definate click of changing.

Not sure if that bit of information helps, but I'm probably just doing something wrong being my first time. :P

Thanks for the warm welcome !

Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Shouldent the bike have a warranty being that you just got it???? Id say start it up in first while holding the clutch and back brake and take it around the block make sure you shift to 2nd the when you make it back with the bike on see if goes into neutral if not and no else suggests anything take it to the dealer they have to fix it for free if u dident have the bike for more than a week call them n check

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 AM

I'll give the short ride a go and see how that goes.
I don't believe there was a warranty in the contract, but the guys I bought it from were really awesome about it. Pretty much gave me free on-roads/rego etc and gave me a pretty large discount on my jacket and gloves.
So if that doesn't solve it, I'll give 'em a call Monday morning.

Thanks guys,

I'll post back if it works.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 AM

Do you understand the shift pattern on the bike?
Try this. Look at the back of your hand and imagine each of your fingers and thumb as a gears in the transmission. There is an even space between your fingers and a larger gap between your first finger and thumb. Number off your digits starting with the thumb as one. The space between one and two(thumb and first finger) is neutral. When you push down on the gear selector from neutral the transmission goes into first gear. Lift the gear lever to go into higher gears. First to second has to go past neutral. Each time you lift the lever you only change one gear at a time. There is no skipping gears like you can do in a car. The same for dropping into a lower gear...each time you depress the shift lever you only drop one gear.
If you are not sure which gear you are in or it is difficult to shift try rocking the bike back and forth and pressing down gently on the lever. Sometimes the amount of movement in the rocking action is enough to free up the transmission and allow you to shift.
Good luck.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 AM

Ok.

Tried riding the bike, great first ride! Couldn't get moving!

Hehe, although it was informative.

I foud out that I'm obviously not stuck in first since it just stalls as soon as I let out the clutch - tried multiple ways. No revs, some revs, a good amount. I think I got it up to 6k revs letting it out, I didn't want to go any higher incase it took off without me. >< Lol.

Anyway, on top of that I found I can only shift up two gears and back down those same two.
My guess from a little reading is that the chain is probably stuck in a wrong place, or needs adjusting. Maybe even something with the clutch cable.

So I'm going to call the dealer on Monday to see what can be done, but if you guys have any ideas I'd love those.
I'm itching beyond belief to ride. Lol.

Thanks again in advance.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM

You can try the rocking method that Thrasher posted, or with the motor running shift down, let the clutch out a small amount and you should hear a click or a clunk or something in the trans. Pull the clutch back in and shift down more.

In my experience motorcycles, when off, have two positions in the trans. First and neutral. The only way to get past N is to turn it off when in 2nd or higher.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM

Wait a minute did you get to ride or just kept stallin it?? What do you mean you tried with no revs........did you ride the bike home from the dealership?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM

In addition to what Thrasher said, get on your bike, start it up, slowly let out on the clutch just enough to hear the bike begin to catch, but dont let the bike stall. While your doing this, walk the bike forward just a bike. A foot or so should be plenty, then pull the clutch back in and down shift one gear. Repeat this process until your down in first, then you can pop it back into neutral.

It sounds like your just stuck in a higher gear. the transmission will need to rotate some before your shift forks will align the gears so they can mesh and allow you to shift into lower gears. Normally your bike is rolling when you down shift, so its usually not a probem, only when your bike is sitting idle is hard to shift from a tall gear down to first.

Quick Reply: God I feel stupid asking this. ><