General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving my 89 'cane some more grunt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving my 89 'cane some more grunt

Hey everyone, I ride an 89 cane, its my first street bike, and im not a huge gear head.

Some people have suggested changing my chain and sprockets to give the bike some more pull, but i am unsure of the best set up and where i would purchase it.

Hopefully somebody on here can offer me some sound advice?

Oh and ill post pis of the bike soon, it has 03rr plastics on it and getting custom paint soon.

Thanks

Logan

Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM

If your looking for power out of it, the best bang for the buck is to get the power it has to the ground, which is like you said, a sprocket change.

The most popular kits out there are the -1+2 kits. That is basically a -1 tooth on your front sprocket and up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. It will put more power to the ground much sooner. I would suggest a 520 kit for that bike.

check and see if you have stock sprockets on now as they may have been changed already. I certainly wouldnt go to a more aggressive gearing than the -1+2, as the bike will become so much less streetable. So make sure your not counting the ones on the bike currently and going from that standpoint.

Always change your chain at the same time you change your sprockets. You dont want to interchange a new chain or new sprockets on an old chain. Buying a kit is the cheapest way to go.

You can purchase these kits just about anywhere. Ebay, bikebandit.com, chaparall-racing.com.

Now for the disclaimer.. If this is your first bike, I would strongly suggest getting use to it the way it is before I added any more grunt to it. these bikes are plenty fast to learn on as they stand.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-26-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Cool thx for the heads up. Will any generic cbr600 520 kit work for it, or do i need specifically one for that model?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM

Man, its hard to find kits for that model bike. I did a little bit of looking around and came across this site. I would recommend the stage 2 kit. I have never ordered from this site so I couldnt tell you one way or another how they are, but its the only site I found that listed your bike. A little more searching would probably be a good idea

http://www.sportbikepro.com/cst_shop...48&doit=submit

As for any kit working. Im just not sure. Im sure some will and have the same bolt pattern, but the stock sprockets on your bike are more than likely different than that of other 600's.. the number of teeth anyway. So a -1+2 kit for another bike, may be a -2+5 for yours, or the other way around. I would try to get a kit that fits your bike. But from what I've searched, its going to be a little harder to find than other bikes for some reason.

I would post this same question in the 600F section of this website. there are a lot of members in there that Im sure have been down this road before and probably have some good sources.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-26-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks so much for the help. i owe ya one. If you are ever in Halifax nova Scotia, ill buy ya a beer

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What up Logan, welcome to the forum. www.moto-heaven.com These guys helped me out, I wanted to get more power to the ground too, but dont want to do any wheelies (I'm still wet behind the ears too). They pointed me in the right direction, and when they sent me the wrong chain (wasnt chrome) they replaced it with the upgraded one (X ring). Squid suggested the 520 (width) kit, I DONT. There is NO real world advantage over a 525 kit, actually the 520 chain is weaker than a 525 chain. Supposedly it has less rotating mass, therefore it gets you going faster. BS. You will NEVER see the advantage unless you are trying to gain tenths of a second on the track. Yes it is much lighter than OEM (steel sprockets) but its only a couple ounces lighter than the same kit in a 525 width. You can go to any chain mfg. web site and compare the two for yourself or just contact the guys at moto-heaven.
www.moto-heaven.com
Tech Line- 814-489-3379
Toll Free Order Line 1-877-416-0969

Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 AM

HANG FIRE- I will post pics as soon as its ready for the road. The plastics are all mocked up now but nothing is in place.

Id say in about a month should be ready (there is still snow on the ground here in Nova Scotia)

This was it last year:

And Skoobie , thanks for the heads up, iw ill touch base with them for sure,. I shopped around and a 520 kit with a blue annodized chain is gonna run me about $200 canadian. I will check on the 525

Cheers guys

L

Last edited by Loganhudak; 03-27-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM

The reason I suggested the 520 chain is it should be easier to locate a kit with the -1+2 sprockets. It had nothing to do with the false advantage of the 520 chain being better, as I am the same as you, I dont buy into that. But, for a 600cc bike, the 520 chain will be more than strong enough. I would never suggest it for a 1000cc bike, but a 600 should have no worries at all.

So it wasnt for a performance advantage that I suggested the 520 kit, but a convenience one. Either one will work fine. You wont see any differences in them, performance or durability, not with a 600.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 AM

I went to the local dealer and asked if they had a chain/sprocket kit for my bike. They did in stock gearing but the package was dusty like it had been sitting around for a while. I feigned dissappointment that it wasn't a -1/+2 kit and they offered me 20% off. I took it! I was and am happy with the stock gearing...and they were happy to get the kit off their shelves. Win win.