General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting off my midpipe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting off my midpipe.

Cant seem to get the sucker off, I did a whole repaint on the bike and now I have this ugly exhaust. I powdercoat so I was planning on sandblasting the thing and making it gloss black.

Here is the link to my repaint as I have tons of unanswered questions through out it.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/repainting-bike-pictures-80677/

As you can tell I have used pb blaster and tried to pull the tabs up a little bit, also hit it with a piece of wood and a hammer. Nothing.... Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the exact same thing. Eventually I pried those flaps back with a very narrow flathead screwdriver, soaked it with WD40 and let it sit for a while, and just yanked like hell. Keep at it and it will eventually come. It took me like 4 hours to get the old one off, and three minutes to mount the new one. Maybe riding around like that for a while might help vibrate it loose.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM

try and penetrating spray?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I used pb blaster (kinda like wd 40)

The thing about prying the tabs back is I dont want to have to buy a new one so I don't want to ruin it to much.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Your going to need to twist the midpipe back and forth. the more you twist it, the looser it will get. then you can start rocking it side to side and that will start to expand the compressed outer pipe.

If it wont twist, take a propane torch and heat the outer pipe. it will expand the outer pipe faster than the inner pipe, if your quick about and dont let the inner pipe heat up too, the outer will expand and allow you to twist it and rock it.

You dont need to heat the entire outer pipe. Just a small portion of it, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of it. this will allow you work quicker with less chance of heating the inner pipe as much. There looks to be a lot of rust there. Heating the outer pipe first will break the rust that is bonding them together right now. These pipes have seen heat from the inside out, which creates a tightening effect, heating from the outside in will create a loosening effect, as long as your quick about it.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-10-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 PM

i had the same problem with my old d&d pipe...just gotta wiggle it...use pb blaster...and keep wiggling it. Try not to bang it too much against the swingarm

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Got the stupid thing off, dad took a torch to it, slid right off.

Sandblasted it and its ready for powdercoat. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ol Dad. Always come through in a pinch. Hows the powdercoat gonna hold up under under the heat?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Good ol Dad. Always come through in a pinch. Hows the powdercoat gonna hold up under under the heat?
Good question, I bought some hi temp powder that is good up to 1000F. So we will see how it turns out and holds up, if it doesn't work out I might get it ceramic coated or just buy a new one.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM

ok, new problem, im trying to repack my two bros slip on and I cant get the ends off, I got all of the rivets out and pounded on the ends with a rubber mallet and nothing, not even a budge. Can I apply heat to it? im planning on powedercoating the can too, so im not worried about color change.

It wont catch the fiberglass on fire or something will it?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Getting off my midpipe.