General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting bike ready for a track day

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting bike ready for a track day

I want to do some track days this summer and I was wondering what I need to do to my bike to get it ready? Other than regular maintenance, is there anything special I have to do to get ready for a track day?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldnt find the answers here.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Prep, thats the right word. No wonder I couldnt find it. Thanks man

Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll love track days. They are addictive.

Different tracks/different track day organizations have different rules. Your track day organization should specifically list on their website, the requirements for bike prep.

Example: One track that I ride requires Water-Wetter. While another, doesn't care. Your track day org will know these things & advise. You can see these requirements on most track day org websites.

Yes, you def want your bike to be in safe operable condition. Fresh oil & filter are recommended. Flush & fill your radiator is a good idea as well. You'll need good tires, good brakes, good chain, & NO leaks.

I can't stress that last one enough. Its a real pain in the backside to have to wait for a track crew to "clean" the track b/c some rider didn't maintain his bike properly & it leaked oil or other fluids all over the track. This causes riders to miss their sessions, that they've paid for, but can't do anything til the track is cleared for use after a cleanup. One track day last yr, a rider didn't tighten his oil nut tightly enough after changing his oil. As a result, the nut came out & his bike spewed oil all over the track. He should have immediately gotten off the track to limit the spill area but instead, he rode around about 1/3 of the track. This took forever to clean up & cost everyone at least one session of riding.

"Other than regular maintenance"... Typically, you'll remove your mirrors, remove or tape over your turn signals & headlights & tail light, tape over your well weights w/ duct tape, etc.

When you arrive at the track, you'll check in w/ the track day org & go thru a tech-inspection w/ your bike. The inspectors will verify your bikes operational condition & insure you've done the prep they require. When you pass, usually they'll place a group sticker on your front cowl/windscreen. If they address anything that needs adjustment, like a loose chain, tire pressures, etc, they'll tell you go back to your pit area & do that...then, come back for re-inspection. So you'll need to have stands, tools, etc. Once all is good on re-inspection, you're good to go!