General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Maintenance Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Maintenance Questions...

Alright, so now that my fairings are coming tomorrow, and other things...and I have a bit of cash available I am looking to replace...

Sprockets
Chain
Oil
Oil filter
Radiator fluid
Rear tire

I have a 1994 CBR600F2, I'm wondering what everybody runs in their bikes. I've heard good things about royal purple, amsoil, pennzoil, and others...

Also, what ratings is everybody running, I've seen 0w20, 5w30, and even 10w30/40 suggested...

Also, what filters does everybody run? OEM? Aftermarket (if so, which?)

Then, for the chain and sprockets, I've been advised to go with steel sprockets...and an x-ring chain?

Then I need a new rear tire, my front is still good though...so what do people suggest? I am looking for something that will ride nicely, but also last me for awhile.

Lastly, what does everybody put in their radiator?

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K, Lets see.....

I have a 1994 CBR600F2, I'm wondering what everybody runs in their bikes. I've heard good things about royal purple, amsoil, pennzoil, and others...

Right now I have the Amsoil synthetic bike oil in all of them. No issues

Also, what ratings is everybody running, I've seen 0w20, 5w30, and even 10w30/40 suggested...

Reccomended weight has never hurt me, even on the race bikes. There's no practical reason run any different. IMO

Facory again.

Then, for the chain and sprockets, I've been advised to go with steel sprockets...and an x-ring chain?

Everyday, long term. Steel and O-Ring of choice. I run Aluminum and an X ring chain cause I'm sucker for any nugget of performance gain and can give a crap about how much it costs me in the long run , not like a sprocket kits cost very much once every couple of years but opinions do vary.

Then I need a new rear tire, my front is still good though...so what do people suggest? I am looking for something that will ride nicely, but also last me for awhile.

Personal choice , there are no bad (brand name) tires IMO. Go dual compound for milage, stay in the normal profile radius' and stock size IMO and you can't go wrong. Pick a budget and use that.

I run the HONDA in there as well. Guess I'm just a fan boy. Actually honda reccomends it in thier bikes IIRC due to water pump lube needs and of course the typical Phosphate issues with Aluminum motors. Again ,Florida here 100* @ 100 humidy is common and no issues there ever.

Just want to add that people worry about these details WAY WAY too much. As long as you use brand name stuff and stick to Factory specs your going to be just fine. It's WAY more important that you DO that maintanance than it is getting stuck on brand loyalties or internet myth, rumour and speculations.

IMO. YMMV.

Last edited by zaqwert6; 05-13-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I use:
Rotella t6 oil
Aftermarket oil filter, but an OE manufactuer from japan
Engine ice coolant
Xring chain with steel sprockets
Brig tires, but may go mich soon.

But zaqwert6 has great advice as well. You cant go wrong with anything he stated.

I hope this doesnt turn into one of those oil/tire threads.....

Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of those are excellent oil brands. After some research I eventually decided on Rotella T6 (Shell, same as Pennzoil) which meets and exceeds my bike's requirements for engine oil. Your bike is almost 20 years old. Oil technology has come light years from what it was in 1994. Pretty much anything on the shelves nowadays will exceed what your bike was designed for.

Your specific bike manual will recommend a weight depending on your average ambient operating temperatures.

Honda doesn't manufacture filters. They simply put their logo on somebody else's filter. Why pay extra? Buy whichever brand floats your boat directly from the manufacturer. Brands that do make their own filters include Wix, Purolator, AC Delco, Champion, and Fram.

Nothing wrong with that.

The Dunlop Q2 is not too shabby.

I like good old Prestone Extended Life. Again, it meets the requirements that the manual specifies.