General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Indicator Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Indicator Installation?

Hi all,
I've purchased a fairly cheap universal gear indicator from eBay, it is one of those that works via a magnet on your gear lever.
Does anybody have any detailed fitting/installation instructions for something like this? I am not very technical and the instructions that came with the indicator are very vague.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jayleatherland
Hi all,
I've purchased a fairly cheap universal gear indicator from eBay, it is one of those that works via a magnet on your gear lever.
Does anybody have any detailed fitting/installation instructions for something like this? I am not very technical and the instructions that came with the indicator are very vague.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If the kit instructions came with any contact numbers on them, it might just be worth a quick 'phone call and ask the manufacturers for their advice. I think you'll find they will be happy to help you! Good luck!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, the item came from a seller in the UK but the item is from China, therefore no contact details and I think that the seller is Chinese so I am not getting very far with them.
What I need to know is where do I take the power from? They say this wire should be a +' this wire should be a - etc but where do I get these from on the bike?
Also there doesn't seem to be anywhere in and around the gear lever to connect all the magnets and sensors etc. Has anyone fitted one of these types to their bike? Advise is needed badly!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a guess I'd say +ve from a switched power source such as the power supply to the rear brake light, negative to earthing point. Neutral wire to the neutral switch. As to where to mount the magnets, **** knows, make a bracket leading from the front sprocket cover bolts seems like a sensible solution but I haven't looked, remember it doesn't NEED to be the gear lever itself, the gear shift mechanism at the gearbox will be fine.

IMO they look quite **** though.

Having another look and I am fairly certain that is how the wires go. For a neater job use a relay operated by the rear brake light circuit to power your gear indicator, put a fuse on the +ve wire leading to the indicator and splice in the neutral wire downstream of the neutral switch.

Last edited by DonnyBrago; 10-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.