General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Milage...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Milage...

Hi im having a small problem. I bought my bike used cause it was cheaper LOL... Anyway i was always told to get a bike cause i would get killer gas milage, I bought it more cause i wanted to exoerience that freedom. Anyway my gas milage sucks though. I might as well be driving a f*ckin truck with a Hemi... IM calculating 12 mpg WTF??? They dilivered my bike with a full tank of gas and after 48 miles on my tripometer i was on my reserve tank. What is wrong with my bike? Do i need to take it in to get looked at or is that what is expected from a F4i 600?

Any input or advice will be greately appreciated. Thanks...

Ikon

Old 02-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Default RE: Gas Milage...

If I remember correctly the F4i should be getting around 120 miles per tank. Is there anything unusual along with the poor mpg? Strong smell of fuel etc?

Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Muz

How does it run? It might be leaking fuel. Have you also put more than 1 tank through it if not it probably wasn't full when they gave it to you

Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Retired Administrator

That's just wrong. 12mpg would be running so poorly that you'd be spraying straight fuel out of the exhaust. Do you smell fuel while you're around the bike? Check for leaks. If there isn't any, I think we will be seeing another post from you asking why the bike runs like crap. You don't smoke do you.... just checking.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

My 2006 F4i (completely stock) gets as high as 48 mpg (about 140 miles to reserve) and as low as 38 mpg. I do all city type driving with little traffic idling time and tend to ride a little slow.

Maybe your little brother is syphoning gas out of your tank to bust your *****.

Either way, when you get it squared away, let us know what the situation was.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Default Gas question

On another gas note - how long does gas "keep?" If I have a spare 5gallon jug in the garage will it be good forever? Or does it "go bad" after a long time (a few years)

Old 02-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas question

it's carbon...it breaks down.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:48 PM

Well I really wouldnt know, sometimes when i start it up it smells like gas kinda strong but not too strong. I dont think i would have a leak. Arent they supposed to check for all that when its traded in at the dealership? I refilled and set my trip to zero im going to see how long it lasts this time...

The bike doesnt run like ****, Other than the silenced stock pipe (man that thing sucks) it runs and sounds ok. Thanks for all the input. like i said ill run it on this new full tank and see what i get.

As for leaks what areas should i check? Or should i just light a match and see what happens? j/k

Old 02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the match will work fo sho!

dealers check for some stuff, but not all things.
if it was running super rich, your plugs would've fouled...so just watch for leaks, etc...but if it's super slow it may be dripping and evaporating.
don't trust dealers manag!

Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM

put octane 87 and some FI cleaner

you should be getting on average a 35mpg depending on your riding style

Quick Reply: Gas Milage...