General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006 | 03:25 AM
|
Default gas cap

how do you take the gas cap completley off of the tank, i dont have the key and need to be able to put gas in there, and change the cap when i get a new one.

Old 10-05-2006 | 03:39 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: gas cap

Lock smith or, should I dare say... drill.

If you do the drill, be careful and slow... you wouldn't want a lot of sparking or metal to go into the tank.

I think I'd try a big screw driver and long wrench turning the screw driver to see if I could break the lock first.

But think about it... if you can get a lock smith to it, it would save you from all the possible mistakes you can make drilling or breaking it.

I know guys that have bought the lock pick kits off eBay and are very good at that type of locks so it would be easy to do.

Old 10-05-2006 | 04:33 AM
|

for some reason locksmiths in my area dont do bikes, i tried to find one befor i busted the ignition but they all told me i had to go through the dealership, thats a little out of my price range right now. something about finding a key code? anyone else have any problems like that? i cant see with all the people on here that no one hasnt lost a key...

do you need the key to take the cap off? i havent looked closely at it but the allen key bolts on there look like they are just for looks.

Old 10-05-2006 | 04:54 AM

Try the Allen Keys, three are for real, the rest are for looks (don't ask me which ones) but try 12 o'clock, 3 & 9 o'clock.
Your still going to up **** creek without a key, but at least you can get petrol in it to get you to a locksmith or the Honda dealer

Old 10-05-2006 | 05:15 AM
|

cool man thanks

Old 10-05-2006 | 07:28 AM

actually if you have the code for the ignition the dealer should be able to cut you a key for a couple bux or maybe even free if they feel bad enough for you

Old 10-05-2006 | 08:04 AM

you still gotta have a key you jus cant take the allen screws out

Old 10-05-2006 | 12:17 PM

junior, i thought you had an F1? and there are allen screws? it has to be a newer model cap then, which means the keycode for the ignition wouldnt be the same, unless it had been changed too. so without a locksmith, sounds like you are SOL.

id like to know if another cap fits on there though.

Old 10-05-2006 | 10:04 PM
|

ORIGINAL: rrasco

junior, i thought you had an F1? and there are allen screws? it has to be a newer model cap then, which means the keycode for the ignition wouldnt be the same, unless it had been changed too. so without a locksmith, sounds like you are SOL.

id like to know if another cap fits on there though.

yeah its an f1 good call i was thinking about another bike. no allen screws, no key, no locksmith yeah pretty much sol. im gonna drill it out tomorrow, how do i find the keycode? take the vin to the dealership?

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:29 AM
Retired Administrator

The dealership can look up the key code for you with the VIN. I know a guy that just used this and they charged him $18 for the first key then $6 for more keys... he had 6 keys made. I don't know how far back they go on key codes... you can ask your local shop.