General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Furniture polish for your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Furniture polish for your bike?

When I had my old Bandit I was told/read somewhere that you can use Pledge or some other furniture/dusting polish on your bike. I use to always use that on my old Bandit and it worked great. Took bugs off with no problem, and put a nice waxy feel on the paint. I didnt really like that bike tho...I love my new F4i and I was wondering if anyone has actually heard whether this is ok to use or not.

What do you guys use to detail your bikes. I dont really like the idea of soaking my bike with a hose...thats why the Pledge worked so well, it was super easy and convenient. But if it is bad for the paint then I will do something else.

What about the quick detailers that Meguiars and others have out for cars...are those good?

My bike needs a good detailing this next weekend.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 AM

Ive never heard of pledge for your bike. I dont know exactly what in it, so Im unsure what the effects on your paint will be. I just wash my bike, then use a good polish, either meguiers or eagle one. I still havent found a good source to get rid of bugs, other than washing the bike.

As far as the quick detailers, I personally dont like them. I have some meguirers and really dont think it works that well. Basically, if your bike is already pretty clean, it works ok. If the bike is dirty at all, it doesnt work. It doesnt take off any bugs or anything. I think it was made for show car people that have water spots or dew on their car, cause it really doesnt do much. It does dry like a wax and polishes out ok, but no where near as good as wash and wax.

I use amor all on just about anything that is plastic or black, it really renews the black on anything. My frame is black, and the armor all makes it look like new. I use it on all of the hoses too. Just dont put any on your seats or tires.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 AM

The one thing that was impressive was how the Pledge took bugs off. I would spray it on, let it sit for about 15-30 seconds and they would wipe right off. I just dont know if it is safe for paint/clear coat.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Honda Polish on my bikes almost daily. It takes off every type of dried up hardend dead bug you can think of. Too, it leaves a streak-free surface. I use those yellow micro-fiber towels you see everywhere. BTW, Honda Polish smells great too! I use it on just about everything...bike tank, plastics, lights, helmet, etc.

There are several other spray cleaners like Plexus/etc that do the same job just as well. I've personally never used Pledge but its used on some delicate wood surfaces, so it can't be all that bad.

Every few mos, I'll use Mequiar's *cleaner* wax on both tank & plastics. I've had great results w/ it & really like it. Too, The Wax Shop wax - cleaner wax is good stuff as well. Really, any high quality cleaner wax is good, as far as wax is concerned.

I never wash my bike like washing a car.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Mequiar's quick detail most of the tyme and it works well for me, including getting the bugs off. I do break down and actually wash it a few tymes a year too. I use Mequiar's cleaner wax a few tymes a year too. And my bike does go thru spells were I dont clean it because I am riding it so much lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 PM

I use this stuff called purple slice...works awesome. Just spray on and wipe off. Takes bugs and road grime off.

Last edited by 509 Ghost Rider; 05-20-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was given a Motorcycle cleaning kit last year for my birthday, Auto Glym. Has a cleaner, which is good for bugs & dirt, but another product in the kit is Motorcycle shine & spray on & buff which works a treat. To be honest, I've always relied on a good quality synthetic chamois & warm water to clean my bike with.
One bike shop that I used to frequent (bought 9 bikes off the buggers), so I knew most of the sales team pretty well & they used a furniture polish called Mr Sheen, (which I suspect is the same as Pledge) to keep the bikes for sale nice a shiny. Also took a ride out to a pub one time & got talking to a couple of cruiser owners & they said they used it as well (all that chrome).

Old 05-20-2009, 07:05 PM

I use FP on the interior of my vehicles, works great. I didnt believe it but the guys at work use it on the interiors of there big trucks ( i drive a truck for a living) and started using it.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM

nice...I used pledge the other day just cause I didnt have anything else...it works really well, plus if you use a microfiber cloth I dont think it will hurt.

Sidenote: If you do use furniture polish you have to go over it twice like a wax. You go over it once to get the majority of it off then you switch to a clean section of the cloth and buff it. Try it. It works. Takes bugs right off, just let it sit on them for about 30 - 60 seconds if they are really baked on.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM

I have been using pledge for years. I know quite a few guys that do the same. A bike dealer told me that the stuff he sold for cleaning bikes was just the same stuff as furniture polish and I have been using it ever since. It works well and keeps the bike shiny between wax times...I find it works well taking bugs off and also works well on your windscreen. I find it puts down a slight layer of protection....I even use it on my helmet....I also use the meguiars detailer as well....pedge or even the no name brand is a cheaper but effective way to clean the bike. Has never hurt the finish on any of my bikes...only thing is stay away from the seat!! or at least your passenger seat unless you want to loose a girlfriend or two!!! lol!

Quick Reply: Furniture polish for your bike?