General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump no power help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr900racer77
If pump is running fine and bike isn't running well, could be a short/break in negative coil lead running to relay. I realize it's a safety device to kill the pump in case bike goes down, but to me it's just something extra to go bad and ruin your day.
Could you explain which wire to bypass. I want to try that before retrieving a new relay. Thanks for imput.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 08-29-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

If it runs off fuel pump relay like the 900RR (and I'm almost certain it does), it does get 12volts continuous run to it, but it's the relay that feeds it the 12volts. It only relays power when it gets signal from negative coil wire (blue/yellow, yellow/blue). If you aren't reading 12volts at pump with engine running (and pump works fine when you feed it direct 12volts) your relay is probably bad.
I'm not familiar with the 900RR that you speak of, however the fuel pump doesn't work that way on a F3. You are correct in that the control line for the Fuel Cut Relay is attached to the Ground line of the coils. It's that line that is being switched between ground and line each time the sparks plugs are supposed to fire. That's why the relay is a solid state relay. An ordinary mechanical relay would not be able to respond quickly enough.

Originally Posted by brveagle
Sounds like the issue has already been clarified, but this is not true. The fuel pump runs off 12 volts. It does not operate off pulse voltage.
I have to asssume that you're not familiar with how the Fuel Cut Relay is wired into the bike or of it's operation. Here's your opportunity to learn something new. The Fuel Cut Relay, which provides power to the Fuel Pump, does receive pulses (on off signals) that also go to the Ignition Coils. Every time that On-Off signal is received, the Thyrister inside that Solid State Relay passes voltage to the Fuel Pump. Since the Thyrister is turning on and off as fast as your Ignition Coils are providing sparks, your meter does it's best to average the the rapidly changing voltage that is fluctuating between 12v and 0v. Your meter will not read 12v on that line that goes to the Fuel Pump. Here is the information out of the manual that supports my explanation.

Name:  FuelCutRelay2.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  107.6 KB

Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 PM

I don't have F3 diagram at home, but did look at 900 diagram. After looking at what you posted, they are the same. Also noticed that in my post that you quoted I contradicted myself. Fuel pump DOES NOT recieve continuous 12 volts, but it does receive 12 volts from the relay so I stand half way corrected LOL. Your explanation and diagram you posted was excellent! Power to pump is pulsating, but it's one seriously rapid pulse (feeds from both coils which is pretty fast even at idle).
Diagram posted shows how to bypass relay. Jumper wire from black to black/blue will run pump continuously with ignition on.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have F3 diagram at home, but did look at 900 diagram. After looking at what you posted, they are the same. Also noticed that in my post that you quoted I contradicted myself. Fuel pump DOES NOT recieve continuous 12 volts, but it does receive 12 volts from the relay so I stand half way corrected LOL. Your explanation and diagram you posted was excellent! Power to pump is pulsating, but it's one seriously rapid pulse (feeds from both coils which is pretty fast even at idle).
Diagram posted shows how to bypass relay. Jumper wire from black to black/blue will run pump continuously with ignition on.
Well, not actually. The Fuel Cut Relay is only attached the the signal line that controls the coil for cylinder #2, and #3. Yes it's fast and because of that speed you don't read 12v with a meter (unless you have a meter that can capture peak voltage). If you look back at the beginning of this thread, Eudabusa indicates that he believes that his fuel pump is not getting the proper voltage. I was pointing out that his readings most likely were incorrect due to limitations in his meter. The contacts in these pumps are notorious for going bad. In fact, I ordered a set today because the ones I replaced last fall on my wifes bike have started exhibiting problems.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM

The F3 only gets signal from one coil wire? Then it is different from 900RR. The RR gets feed from both, which is pretty cool if you think about it. While one wire sends 12v's the other acts as a ground, then vice versa. I shot a video yesterday with test light hooked to 2,3 wire but my phone's camera wasn't good enough to actually show it flashing, just looked like one continuous light.
The F3 must have a dedicated ground going to the relay. That's not very cost effective for Honda to use 2 different relays that do same job.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Does the F3 use 3/8" fuel line like the RR? If it does, why not fit one from an RR onto the F3's. No known problems with them. Mine is original pump that came with it in 94. Just a thought.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Okay, got to work and there's no dedicated ground for F3 relay. Does the relay cycle when the coil is grounded? It would almost have to. Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to learn.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, got to work and there's no dedicated ground for F3 relay. Does the relay cycle when the coil is grounded? It would almost have to. Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to learn.
Yes, the ground signal energizes the relay alowing power to pass to the fuel pump. At the same time the coil is energized and builds its magnetic field. When the ground is removed by the ICM, the relay turns off, and the magnetic field in the coil collapses on itself generating a spark.

BTW, what year 900RR do you have? I looked as a later model year wiring diagram and there is no fuel pump on it.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Okay, gotcha! This old dog loves learning new things. So if the F3 is getting signals from 1 source and the RR is getting it from 2, the F3 has a longer interruption than the RR. I'd be willing to bet that might be part of the reason F3's have problems with fuel pumps. 900RR's stopped using fuel pumps when engine size went up to 919cc's (1996). Nothing changed between the 2 engines to accomodate it not having a fuel pump. When someone with an older model tells me their pump is gone, I tell them to just leave it off.
Anyone who doesn't understand or isn't familiar with coils, they are super cool! With ignition off, the negative side is grounded. Turn the switch on and it's a constant 12volts. Start bike and it alternates from ground to 12volts. If you have a test light with seperate different light for reverse polarity, try this at night time. Connect the clip to neg. side of 1 coil and the probe to neg. side of the other. Then start the bike. The test light will look like a Christmas tree switching from one light to the other. Mine is red and green and YES, I have waaay too much time on my hands LOL
Thanks for taking time to explain that man. I've been working on these things for a long time and like I said I never get tired of learning something new.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

That's why I'm here, I love to learn. Well, I love to ride too, and work on them, and fix them up, and....

Quick Reply: Fuel pump no power help!