General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006 | 01:03 AM
Default Fuel Filter

Hey guys just found your forum and gotta question.

I have just picked up a '01 F4i and don't have a manual. Can someone on here tell me where the fuel filter is? I've already had a quick look without taking anything apart and but I see no sign of it. I'm guessing it's under the fuel tank but didn't want to take it off only to find out it's not there or internal to the tank and that it's not necessary to replace it. Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know you. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-21-2006 | 02:07 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: Fuel Filter

Here's the F4i Manual

You'll need WinZip to extract it

Fuel filter replacement is on page 5-54.

The fuel filter is located beside the fuel pump. You can access it by removing the fuel tank.

Old 08-21-2006 | 02:42 AM

Cool! Thanks. [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 08-21-2006 | 03:19 AM

By the way stephygee, I checked your webpage out those bikes look sick and the girls are looking good too [sm=smiley20.gif].

Old 08-21-2006 | 03:44 AM
Registered Users

Thanks! No worries on the manual...glad to help. The bikes are my cousins'...they specialize in customizing sport bikes. They do pretty good work

Welcome to the site!

Old 08-21-2006 | 04:14 PM

and the fuel pump is located...inside the tank!

you'll need new crush washers for the fuel line, the fuel filter itself and a new pump gasket to do the job.

Old 08-21-2006 | 04:55 PM

How often do you guys change your fuel filters or do you just wait till the fuel pump packs it in or you have a fuel filter related problem ? It doesn't mention the fuel filter in the maintenance schedule of the the manual stepphygee gave me the link for.

Old 08-21-2006 | 06:27 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: canadianF4i

How often do you guys change your fuel filters or do you just wait till the fuel pump packs it in or you have a fuel filter related problem ? It doesn't mention the fuel filter in the maintenance schedule of the the manual stepphygee gave me the link for.
I did a Google on changing the fuel filter on the F4i and haven't come across anything that stipulates it's part of the normal scheduled maintenance (oil change, air filter, etc.). Is the bike giving you trouble starting or does it hesitate why you're interested in changing the fuel filter? I'm a believer in the "if it ain't broke..." philosophy. I'll look through my owner's manual and see if the fuel filter is mentioned and get back with you.

Old 08-21-2006 | 06:44 PM

there's no mention of it...i just changed mines cause...i forget why...but anyway, it was at approximately 22K...oh yes...or more!?!?! wait had to be more...

Old 08-21-2006 | 07:29 PM

No problems with the bike right now I'm just a believer in preventative maintenance.

Currently my bike has 12,740 miles on it and runs perfect so I'll consider doing it when I check the valve clearances and replace the plugs at 15,000 miles since I'll have to take the tank off anyway.

Thanks for the input guy's.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter