General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel- does brand matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F34Me?
I use Shell V-Power. It does not have the ethanol (at least here in WI it doesn't and it didn't in Aus either) and it has enough cleaners in it that I don't need to run an additive.

To find ethanol free fuel in your city try here
There are plenty of Shell stations in my area but apparently none of them are ethanol-free. According to that website the nearest ethanol-free station is over 100 miles from where I live. I guess I'll have to make do with looking for Top Tier certified ones.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what does the ethanol free do???

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
According to the professional used oil analyst I work with, there can be a noticeable/significant difference between brands of fuel, in terms of how clean it keeps your engine inside, and also even in terms of mpg and wear control. Now that I'm in the Phoenix area, I try to use QT fuel whenever I can. I have always used a proprietary fuel additive mix that this analyst recommended to me, but with QT fuel it seems I may not need it. If their fuel was to become significantly more expensive, though, it would be cheaper for me to return to my additive system.

Care to post up the additives he recommends? Im always curious at what professionals in the oil/gas industry actually recommend instead of just going off of advertisements and which company has more money to spend on advertising...

I usually look for stations that are ethanol free but they seem to be few and far between around here. Most of the time I end up using Shell cause my credit card offers rebates on gas purchases through them.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Most modern cars are built to run on E10 some can even run on E85. But older cars (like my '91 Stealth) run much better on ethanol free fuel! I am not so sure about my F4i to be honest, I haven't tried to put E10 in it, but the older bikes I owned didn't like the E10. My local gas station which is only 3 blocks from my house has all 3 grades in E0 and his prices are EXACTLY the same as everyone else... in fact sometimes he is cheaper! I would rather pay the extra money for V-Power and use Shells formula than add my own additives, too much or too little of something over time can cause problems! I try to stay away from those little bottles of stuff, though I once ran a can of Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner through my CBR250R and that stuff worked wonders! It ran like a brand new bike... almost.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by MeanGreenZ71
Care to post up the additives he recommends?
I would love to, but unfortunately the specific system is NDA-protected (proprietary). I can tell you that, for straight additives, one would do well to use something from Lubrication Engineers, Lube Control, or Renewable Lube. I have used these to good effect before, according to analysis results and/or the input of that analyst.

No, I am not affiliated in any way with any of those companies.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM

I run 91 Non-Oxy fuel every fill up. The brand I use all depends on what city I'm in when I fill up, for the most part though I use TESORO since it's closest to my house.

Moses

Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 PM

what about mixing brands? i'm sure it cant make that big of a difference right?

i used to be picky about it and when i wasn't near home i'd look for my gas station, now i don't bother and will just go whereever has 91.... but after reading some of these posts i'll at least stick w/ top tier.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
MZ5

WiSH2oo0, you live in MN? Doesn't MN still require E10 everywhere? What's the status of the E20 requirement your state passed in 2005?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Hey MZ5,

This is what I found from the MSRA site,

"Since October 1992, all gasoline sold in the Twin Cities area during the winter months has contained ethanol. Since October 1995, ethanol-blended fuel has been federally mandated year'round in the 10-county Twin Cities area. All gaso- line sold in those counties must have an oxygen con- tent of at least 2.7 percent by weight, which is achieved by adding ethanol to create approximately an 8 percent ethanol/92 percent gasoline blend. October 1 through January St., the use of oxygenated fuels is required year 'round throughout Minnesota. "

They also go on to list where you can purchase
(ethanol-free) gasoline in the state of Minnesota. Ethanol

Moses

Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 AM

The nearest place that has no ethanol added is over 115 miles from me , so I'm stuck using corn injected gas . I use 93 octane (@ 10% ethanol ) at BP , Shell or Chevron stations in town . Most places in Florida are 10% ethanol based fuels .
My CBR 1000f runs better on the higher octane . At 10:1 - 10.5:1 compression running in most CBR's , the higher octane is cleaner than the carbon buildup in 87 rated fuel .
My owners manual also recommends 91 or better octane . And I use seafoam in the tank every other fill up to keep the ethanol gremlins away.

Quick Reply: fuel- does brand matter?