General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front brake problem

Not sure if I'm posting in correct section but I'm sure someone will let me know. Here goes i changed the front pads on my 90 CBR1000FL and while doing so cleaned calipers, slides etc and changed fluid. Everything seems to be moving easily. Fitted all back in place but I've found the wheel is not moving freely at all. What have I done wrong or what else do I need to do to correct this problem. I should also say they were a bit sticky prior to changing pads hence why I gave calipers a good cleaning.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:33 AM
Welcome crew
Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Just a thought, did you clean the pistons? They sometimes get a ring of crud on them if having not been used a lot which could now be inside the barrel with adding the new pads and causing them to stick, I had this issues on a CBX550 and had to remove the pistons to clean them properly.
Cheers
Al

The following users liked this post:
90CBRF (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 07:42 AM

Cheers for reply. Yeah extended pistons out and cleaned what was visible. Have to say they weren't that bad. Didn't remove them completely so maybe that should be next step. Anything else I should look at?

Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 AM
Welcome crew

The only other thing would be the pins to make sure the pads are not sticking of them.
That said some gentle relief with a rubber mallet is always an option to make sure the wheel runs freely and the brakes are not masking another problem.
Could the discs / rotor's be warped?

90CBRF (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 12:31 PM

Discs seem to be ok. How easy or difficult is it to remove pistons? Am wondering should I replace all the seals. The pins you refer to is that the slider pins?

Old 01-31-2021, 05:04 PM

Try pushing the pistons back into the calipers and see if the wheel spins. If it spins freely, the problem is most likely there is some white crud growing under the square cut seals inside the caliper. Remove the pistons from the caliper, you can use the front brake lever to do this. Pump the brakes until just before the piston comes out of the caliper bore, use something to keep that from happening- a piece of wood, whatever, use the front brake lever to do the same with the other piston. Do the same to the other side- make sure all the pistons all almost completely out. Some calipers have dust seals that need to be removed some don't. Cafefully extract both pistons, use caution because brake fluid with be dripping all over. Look inside the bore of the caliper, there is a seal inside, it will be flat, carefully remove the seal, a pick tool that has a dull point will work best, if caution is used this seal can be reused. Look at the back side of the seal- the part that sits inside the bore, if there is white crud on it, this is the problem. Use your finger nails to remove the crud, use a small pocket screwdriver bent at a 90 degree angle to gently scrape the crud out of the caliper groove- being cafeful to not damage the aluminum. Take you time and be patient. With a cloth rag, clean the piston surfaces, assemble all parts and bleed the brakes. If you have any questions, ask.-Mike

90CBRF (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 05:39 PM

Many thanks 80-CBX-DUDE. I'm ordering new replacement seals so aim to replace all. How easy or difficult is it to fully remove and reinstall the pistons?

Old 01-31-2021, 05:57 PM

Just use the front brake lever to extend them. I use a reverse plyer tool to grab the inside of the caliper pistons and twist them out.

90CBRF (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a brake caliper repair seal kit so hopefully cleaning and replacing will resolve the problem. FINGERS CROSSED

Old 02-01-2021, 04:49 AM
Welcome crew

+1 CBX Dude, some rubber coated plumber wrenches can be used to finally get the pistons out the last bit if required

90CBRF (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Front brake problem