General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forwarding mileage to my motorcyle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question forwarding mileage to my motorcyle

How do you disconnect the speedometer cable on your 94' honda f2. i want to add mileage to my bike for registration purposes.

I bought a out of state bike i live in California, and they won't let me register my bike because it is out of state with not enough miles, i am at 6900 i need to be at 7500+ any tips on adding miles or registration tips

(i don't want to ride it because i am afraid i will get pulled over and open a can of worm of problems)

Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Are you serious?

Is it some crap about non California models not being able to be registered unless a certain amount of miles are it?

If thats the case, I don't know if I could live in such a messed up state. What difference does that make?

I don't think there is anyway around their law, especially if they have to inspect the bike.

Sorry, I don't have any information for you. Your basically asking how to break the law, and most mods here will frown upon that.

Maybe sign up for a few track days and rack up the miles.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-11-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM

put it on a stand and rack up the miles like that....

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Seven30LG
put it on a stand and rack up the miles like that....

+1 to the ferris buller strategy!

I live in CA and never heard of this, might be something new?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F2 speedo cable plugs into the front hub. One screw holds it in. Can't put it on a stand and run the miles up cause the front tire has to turn.

Pull the cable out of the housing, figure out which direction the tire rotates the cable when rolling forward.

Chuck the cable end up in a drill and have fun.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 03-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno that this is considered questionable, he's wanting to increase his mileage for his own purposes, not decrease it which would be fraudulently misrepresenting the mileage.

It's also only 600 miles, not 15,000.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM

Unscrew the cable at the bottom and attach it to a drill or something to spin it? idk or buy a used speedometer off ebay or a used/wrecked bike that has the miles you need might be easier.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 PM

I dunno that this is considered questionable, he's wanting to increase his mileage for his own purposes, not decrease it which would be fraudulently misrepresenting the mileage.
thats true. But if its a law that the bike has to have so many miles before a non california model can be registered in the state, it is. Its still odometer fraud to make it read something that it doesn't have. Im not saying I agree with the law. I think there are a ton of laws in place that make absolutely no difference. How in the world a bike that has 7500 miles puts out less emissions is beyond my comprehension. But they are still laws for that state.

Having said that. I would check the law a little closer. Some states do not require odometer readings on vehicles once they are past a certain age. Your bike being 17 years old, the it may not be a factor any longer. I would call another DMV and check. Hopefully you can find one that will give you information. California has a requirement for odometer readings for vehicles less than 10 years old according to this website.. you may be able to get around it.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm

Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 AM

Wait, maybe I am a moron, but, why does CA require a certain amount of mileage in the first place? Not saying that the state is wrong, but WTF?

So, if I moved to Cali, bought a used bike with under 7500 miles, I couldn't register it? What sense does that make?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 AM

Wait, maybe I am a moron, but, why does CA require a certain amount of mileage in the first place? Not saying that the state is wrong, but WTF?

So, if I moved to Cali, bought a used bike with under 7500 miles, I couldn't register it? What sense does that make?
California is a pretty strict place when it comes to emissions and anything that is not green. so much so, they have their own regulations regarding emissions seperate from the rest of the county. Im sure you've seen 49 state legal bikes and cali models.

Basically though, I think its to prevent people from buying new vehicles that are not California regulated and bringing them back to California. It forces you to buy new vehicles from California dealerships wether its bikes or automobiles. Most California models will have less hp and more smog related stuff so they can be less desirable for some people.

the funny part is, most vehicles now are 50 state legal, yet the law still applies. I think the rest of the county should have a law that prohibits buying from California and bringing to other states.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-12-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: forwarding mileage to my motorcyle