General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing/ Cleaning Up '04 600 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Flushing/ Cleaning Up '04 600 F4i

In speaking to a few other riders they seem to think that a good tune up could fix a lot of issues on my bike. They think I should flush the fuel system and engine, change the spark plugs and air filter and battery...

Can I do this the same way as I would in a car? I mean... can I remove the fuel pump and then let the gas drain out of the bike.. then flush it using more (new) gas... or do i need to flush it under pressure?
Also, for the engine... can I drain the oil and then run some ATF for a bit in the engine to clean it.. OR purchase some engine flush from KRAGEN and then flush the oil that way?
This is the first time I will be doing this to a bike so I need as much input as possible..

Thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 PM

For the fuel, just run a little injection cleaner but for an 04 i doubt it will do much. the air filter, just raise the tank and replace it. i have videos on my youtube account TheSailormanman of the sparks, oil and air filter replace for an 06 F4i so its the same. the oil just replace with some good synthetic and a new filter

Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 AM

Thanks! It sound pretty straight forward...

What about flushing the oil though... I would really like to get our any gunk thats in the engine gumming it up..

Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 PM

You could take it and get an oil system flush but the process is not something i would ever do. The risk is when they flush the oil system with cleaning solution, particles can become loosened and clog up hoses pickups and filters(same with a tranny flush on cars). This is true also if the fuel injector cleaner. The particles left in the gas can get stirred up and clog valves and filters. The best way is to remove the tank and drain all the old gas first then run new high octane gas through. Really i would let the oil pan drain overnight then put synthetic and a new K&N oil filter, run the bike(idle and out for a quick ride) then while the oil is still hot drain that and remove the oil filter and replace both. You can then cut open the old filter to get a better look if anything is actually coming out(gunk trapped), pricey but the safest option in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

engine shouldnt be to gunked up unless its not been taken care of, ie oil not been changed on regular intervals on a extreme basis at that.

ThirdGen took his engine apart from his 05 F4i that had 170k on it at the time and it was almost spotless. Same engine with over 200k on it now with exception of the case, (damn curbs).

Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Well I gave the engine an oil change just before I stopped using it in April of last year. I rode it only about twice a week for an a few hours... so I dont think that the engine should have been in too bad oa a shape. Yesterday when I went out to the bike I found that I couldnt cycle through all of the gears... I only got 4 out of 6 gears.. and none of them were Neutral (the green light never lit). I think maybe the old oil is causing the clutch to stick...
Also, I have not changed the spark plugs in some time and for sure I need a new CCT.
Can I buy the ful synthetic oil from Wal-Mart or should I buy the Mobile 1 from Cycle Gear?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM

only use motorcycle specific motor oil, there is more ingredients for the wet clutch that automotive motor oils dont have, i use mobile one racing 4t 10W-40 and it works great, i get mine at Auto Zone

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJZF4i
Well I gave the engine an oil change just before I stopped using it in April of last year. I rode it only about twice a week for an a few hours... so I dont think that the engine should have been in too bad oa a shape. Yesterday when I went out to the bike I found that I couldnt cycle through all of the gears... I only got 4 out of 6 gears.. and none of them were Neutral (the green light never lit). I think maybe the old oil is causing the clutch to stick...
Also, I have not changed the spark plugs in some time and for sure I need a new CCT.
Can I buy the ful synthetic oil from Wal-Mart or should I buy the Mobile 1 from Cycle Gear?
Rotella T in the blue jug works great!!! Tons of us on here use it n not had an issue with it.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. So you think that I should stay away from the engine flush treatments that they have at the auto parts store?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JJZF4i
What other issues are you having?

Clutch plates can stick when a bike sits for a while but you would feel it drag, drain the oil, pull the clutch pack and seperate the fibers from the plates, clean and reinstall, while you are at it check for warped plates and burnt fibers.

Wlll the clutch disengage properly, if so probably not your issue, and even if it is draging or sticking still unlikley that is your shifting issue. Sounds to me like your issues are more serius than flushing the oil would solve. Bent shifter fork maybe, or else time to go into the trany, what gears are you able to get?

As for the plugs i have gone masive distances without changing plugs. why do you hope to achive with new plugs? How old are the ones you have, what do they look like?

Kevin Cameron said it best "spark only needs to be a***uite" If they are making ok spark let em be especily at $9 a plug.

What other issues are you having that youare tryng to slove?

Quick Reply: Flushing/ Cleaning Up '04 600 F4i