General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush mount Issue

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount Issue

I just installed flush mount front turn signals on my 09 600rr. after doing so both my front and rear turn signals stay on like running lights. They do blink when I turn on the signals but stay lit all the other time the bike is on. The bike has a three wire setup while the lights I bought only have a two wire set up. I'm sure this has something to do with it. How can I fix?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 PM

I believe that is how they are set up from the factory. Turn signals act as running lights also. The three wire setup is little confusing but essentially you have to disconnect the running light wire. How did you wire the signals?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock front lighting is a 3 wire setup, (rears usually are not lit up except when blinking, thus are a 2 wire setup)
1) running light (On whenever the ignition is on - usually the striped wire in the plug - light blue/white and orange/white),
2)ground (green on every Honda schematic I've looked @, but I haven't looked at anything newer than F4i),
3)blinker (I'm guessing probably orange on one side and light blue on the other)

since your flushmounts are only 2 wire (I'm assuming LEDs?) you can only do off/on.

Stock bulbs have 2 filaments in them, one dim wattage for running and one bright wattage for the blinker - what I think happens is when the flasher relay turns on (blinks) the bright filament, it momentarily turns off the dim filament. (I could be wrong here)

If you have your flushmount plugged ground into the green, and the positive into the striped wire, you essentially end up with it running at all times the ignition on, and turning off when the blinker filament should be lit up in a stock 2 filament bulb.

If you switched the positive to the solid orange or light blue wire, you'd get a flush mount that only lights up when you flip your blinker switch and is dark at all other times.

In either case the 3rd wire shouldn't be attached to anything, and you need to wrap some tape around it to avoid it shorting out on the frame or something if it is loose.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM

Yeah I wired both hot wires to the hot on the LED and the ground to the ground. So what you say makes sense. Thank you I will try that. However I'm still confused on why that would make my rear signals stay lit all the time...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM

That's because the solid orange and light blue wires that are for the blinker function only are probably common between the front and rear bulbs, so when you tied the striped "parking lamp" wire that is always 12v hot to the orange wire, you basically are pushing 12v back to them constantly.

Although that would negate my theory on the dim filament being turned off when the front blinker is being lit giving you your flashing. If I had a wiring schematic for your bike, something might jump out at me - but some of it comes down to the common issues with integrating LED's into a lighting system designed for regular bulbs. There are resistance issues that have to be compensated for in many situations.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM

ok. well I'll try to disconnect the constant hot first and go from there. thanks again.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh wait - re-reading your original post, the rears do blink with the fronts, but are now on constantly at other times? Yes that is caused by the 12V hot at all times on the front being tied to the solid color "blinker" wire. Basically you're just sending the 12V back to the bulbs at all times the parking/running lamps are on.

*edit* - the fun job would be designing a relay circuit to allow the fronts to do both, without the rears lighting up as running lights.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 06-30-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Yes that would be nice to have.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM

let me know how your testing went - but I just looked at my F2 - I've still got bulbs in mine, when ignition is on, one filament is lit, when I turn on that blinker, the running/parking light filament shuts off an the other filament starts flashing. So - your constant + flashing was happening because you had both tied together.

I fear that unless Honda changed something, you're going to lose the constant-on function on the front to be able to make the blinking work.

If I can figure out what value diode you would need, you might be able to retain full functionality w/ a 2wire hookup in the front. I'll see what I can figure out. This sounds like a how-to in the making.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Yes it does. And that would be great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flush mount Issue