General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid in the Stator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid in the Stator?

I just purchased a 2000 929rr. Seems to be having charging issues. I done a lot of reading and have come to the conclusion it is probably my stator. Did som web searching on how to change a stator and watched a few videos. Didn't realize there was oil or fluid on that side of the engine. Is this normal? I thought I was going to take the cover off and inspect the stator for burn marks. Um put that on hold when my garage floor got soaked. Any help or links would be GREAT. I just want to ride.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 AM

Yes, there is suppose to be oil inside the cover where the stator is. That part is perfectly normal.

However, you can't check the stator by looking at it. You will have to measure the resistance with a multimeter. Im not sure what your specific specifications are, but most are no higher than 1.0 resistance in ohms. There should be no continuity between them. You will measure across the 3 leads coming from the stator. You'll notice all of the wires are probably the same color, because there is no order to them. You just measure across 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 2 and 3. If the resistance checks out ok, the stator is fine. I would then begin looking at the rectifier or battery as a possible cause.

Also, you didn't mention what the voltage reading was on the bike at idle or at a slight rev. That should have been the first step in the diagnosis.

If you don't have a multi-meter, nows the time to get one. You simply cannot diagnosis electrical issues without one. Even a cheap $25 one will be fine. You can get a decent digital one for that price. Don't waste money on an anolog one though, they won't be accurate enough for your needs.

Oh yeah, the voltage is measured at the battery terminals with the bike running. the stator is checked with the bike off and the stator unplugged to check across the leads.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

cant go wrong with that advise,good man,think you owe justasquid a pint!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM

I seem to be able to figure most mechanical stuff out between the internet and helpful people found on forums, but I just can't seem to figure out what setting I should be on with my volt meter. I had done some reading and was doing the three yellow wires on the stator. I guess I had read you can see burn marks as a sign your stator is bad. I went ahead and bought a stator and rectifier. I figure no better time then now to change it out as well as the oil. I just put a new battery in it as well. I picked up my 00 929RR for 2100 with 20k on it so if i have to invest a few hundred so be it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 PM

By the way thanks for the info squid!