General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiberglasssing your own tail design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglasssing your own tail design?

i need a new tail faring for my 2001 F4i but winter is here for MI. i have been very successful in the past with fiberglass work. im wondering if anyone has made there own tail or any body work from scratch?
im thinking i will make some kind of an outline of the orginal tail with chicken mesh and then bend it and tweak it how i want still allowing for it to fit and bolt to the tail frame. it would be a big project but im sure if i could get some pointers from someone who has done it i could be successful and take the time to do it.

anyone?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Zmds18's thread. He's got some for sale on ebay since the mods won't let him sell them on here. If you don't wanna pay the 100 he's askin, maybe he can give you some pointers. And FYI winter is NOT here yet, it was in the 60s yesterday and Hines dr. was beautiful, the color change, the Festival of lights being set up, hell I even hit some twisties (well freeway ramps since thats the closest thing to twisties round the D). Although my ***** were froze when I got home, it was a great ride. Guess I need to get some under armor pants.

Last edited by skoobydoobie; 11-08-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a dirty word around here, but the streetfighter forum is what you're looking for: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/index.php?

Take a look at the projects forum, pretty much any bike component you can think of, someone there is building one from scratch. Best source of customizing/fabrication/DIY bike info on the planet.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM

cool, thanks for the help guys ill be exited to get to work!

skoob, im glad you got to enjoy the last few rides. i envy you, i took my insurance off last month and here we have a nice indian summer! i get jealous when i see a group of sports gettin there last days in. i should have waited out this next month already counting down to spring!
thanks guys

Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM

me and my friend used styrofoam, glued it together and shaped it how you want it. then mold the fiberglas around it and use resin one layer of mat and one layer of cloth. then when your reayd and its hard pour gas inside on the styrofoam and it will dissolve the foam and then was and wipe it out and then finish the skim coat of bondo and your done. the more resin onthe outside you use the thicker you amke it the strong it will be and also the less bondo you will ahve to use seeing how you will be able to sand it down nice and smooth.. i used about 4 coats of resin and then sanded starting with 220 grit and worked up until it was glassy looking smooth..

another idead when you think about doing it this way is if you want patterns or color you can paint the second coat of resin real nice and smooth and then apply 2 more coats on after that and sand and polish it up real nice.

advantages of doing this is you are able to tape foil or wax paper around any rear tail light and glas around it and you are able to make your own custom under tray

like they said go to custom fighter and youll see some sick ideas before you start your own tail.
good luck

post pics of your process and elimination
thanks