General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI light

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI light

first and foremost, i love the sight, and have been creeping the board for quite some time for information on my f4i.

back to the point thought. i purchased my 02 f4i with 15k miles on it with a k&n drop in, yoshi slip, and extra cosmetic goodies 2 months ago for 2k bucks. heres the problem, ive changed the oil, and swapped it over to royal purple, rehcharged the k&n, put nothing but premium in it (duh) but for some odd reason my FI light comes on from time to time. never in any sort of pattern, just randomly. sometimes itll stay on for the whole time im riding, sometimes just for a few minutes. it doesnt seem to affect the way it performs, but im just curious as to why its coming on. the only reasons ive come up with are a) the kickstand kill switch is not hooked up, and b) the 2 wires that connect to the clutch perch might have a not so good connection. ive checked the clutch perch and it seems to be ok, but i finally found the kickstand kill switch (its zip-tied underneath the bike) and ill hook it up sometime this week seeing as how im off from school for spring break. but i mainly just wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas as to what is causing my FI light to come on so randomly.

thanks in advance.

on a side note the chain tensioner is bad and the bike has a slight vibration around 4k-5500 rpms. once again not affecting performace, just a little annoying after a while.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: FI light

There's an intake air temperature (IAT) sensor on/around the airbox that can be knocked loose when you're messing around with the air filter. Take her back apart and see if everything is tight and connected. Sounds like you know the light will blink with a code, but you said it's not in a pattern and it runs fine. So I'm guessing a loose sensor/wiring.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Default RE: FI light

Was the light on when you first bought the bike or was this something that just recently happened? I wouldn't think the kickstand switch would cause the FI light to come on, nor will the two wires that are on the clutch perch, thatis just another safety thing that makes sure the clutch lever is pulled in all the way when you try to start it and the bike is in gear. I would suggest a bad battery connection that was causing the FI light to come on,but if there is no noticable change in performance I think that can be ruled out...The FI light works like a check engine light does on a car, it would be hard to track down the problem if it comes on intermittently but if it ever comes on and stays on there is a way that you can find out what the problem is.Also,if you decide to change the CCTL, there are plenty of picture tutorials on here to help you out, it's an easy job if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. [sm=smiley20.gif]