General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions on maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions on maintenance

Just bought a 2000 cbr600 f4. I don't know when the last time it was serviced, so i'm going to go thru it.

First off, what brand and weight of oil do you all recommend to run? I normally run Silkolene 10w40 in my atv race bike and it is a semi synthetic. Should I run semi or full synthetic. I know about the friction modifiers and how they will let the clutch slip in an atv. also how often should the oil be changed in these bikes?

Second, will the K&N filter require a jetting change? If so, how much bigger should they go?

anything else i would want to check, replace, or upgrade?

Thanks
Jonesy

Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Default RE: Few questions on maintenance

This question though seeming simple is amazingly complicated. The best advice I have for you is to buy a shop manual or download one of the manuals you can find online...do a search on the forum and you'll probably find a link to your particular bike. But to keep you safe do the basics, oil, filters, etc. And check your brake pads, chain, and sprockets, just like we all do often right? Well ok but we should =)

Ummm ok you have the same bike as me just one year newer, if you cant find the manual on here (and it is on here somewhere) then let me know

Old 09-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Default RE: Few questions on maintenance

a good idea... is to replace the oil after a few hard rides it all depends on how hot the bike runs and high hard... I change the oil in my f4i every 2500 miles but if I ride 2 hard weekends in a row here in southern california I will change it. I've been told about that clutch slippage issue and some other things to keep in mind. but first, with my f4i I was told not to standard synthetic but rather a synthetic specifically stating "without moly" and that has to do with the clutch. Other than that I've been told not to switch back n forth between synth and conventional.. so pick one and stick with it. Why that is... damned if I know.. but sometimes you just trust in those who do. If anyone can elaborate on that I would appreciate it also.