General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Female needs help cleaning a chain!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Female needs help cleaning a chain!!!!

Can someone give the safest instruction on how to clean a chain. Remember I am a noob at this. Please as many details as possible!!!! Maybe I can teach my husband. HAHAHA

Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Default RE: Female needs help cleaning a chain!!!!

I usually place my bike up on my rear stand and use a tool called a grunge brush. It comes with its own cleaner and basically just place the tool on the chain and slowly spin the tire. Works great! The grunge brush is only like $15

Old 07-26-2007, 03:26 PM

if you have a rear stand it will be real easy.
when i cleaned my chain i just used a golf rag i had and some kerosene.. get the rag wet, then just scrub the chain to get the sides, o rings, grooves.. every where. if u havea rear stand you can spin the rear wheel freely.. if not then push the bike forward to get a diff section of the chain. or get some one to tip the bike on the side stand so the rear tire is off the ground and spin it that way.
once its all cleaned up, wipe it down once more and let it air dry for a few minutes.. then spray it with your chain lube or wax.

and it helps to ride the bike before cleaning the chain( according to my chain wax can) a short ride around a couple blocks should be good.
and i also cleaned the chain slide of the grease and grime build up as well as the sprokects just so its shiney.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 PM

+1 on the kerosene. Depending on how dirty your chain is, one rag should do. If your chain is as dirty as mine was, multiple rags will be needed. A toothbrush is quite effective as well. After you've cleaned the chain, spray on some chain lube/wax and you're all set. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 PM

I cleaned my chain a little while ago, this is what I did.

First I got some chain lube, Tiki Torch oil from Walmart and a toothbrush. Dribbled tiki oil on the chain(about an 8 inch section), let sit a moment, scrubbed with toothbrush, all 4 sides. Rinse with more oil, wipe down with a terry cloth towel. Pushed bike forward moving next section of dirty chain into place. Cleaned, repeated. Once the chain with nice and clean, I went for a quick ride, about 2 miles, to warm the chain up, then applied lube, spraying all the chain I could see, then rolling bike forward some, spraying everything I could see, did this a few times to make sure everything was well lubed, again on all 4 sides. Let the lube 'dry' for about 30 minutes before I rode it again.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM

I use degreaser and a brush on a rear stand, you can also use kerosene as well. Same process as above. Put on rear stand, you can put it in gear if you like or have someone spin the rear wheel.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Mad

I warm it up by doing a couple runs up and down the block. I then put it on a rear on a stand and use WD40 to clean the grease off. Finally add chain lube and GTG..

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 AM

If it's reallt dirty use the toothbrush and Kero method. My chainwas fairly new and I just did the 500 mile inspection. Just used a can of Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner (safe on rubber and seals) and blasted the stuff off and into a towel. Better looking than new and when the chain dried, I lubed really good with the chain lube I have. (let dry or else there will be another huge mess.)

Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Triax

I usually place my bike up on my rear stand and use a tool called a grunge brush. It comes with its own cleaner and basically just place the tool on the chain and slowly spin the tire. Works great! The grunge brush is only like $15
o ya +1 on the grunge brush thing works like a charm

Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/258433.aspx

Quick Reply: Female needs help cleaning a chain!!!!