General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Kit Plastics

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing Kit Plastics

Ok, so I just got a fairing kit....i got it 2nd hand, I think it came from Nicecycle.com...seems to be top notch, its not fitted on, but I placed them next to OEM parts and they are pretty damn near the same...the surface is a LITTLE smoother on OEM then the aftermarket, but nothing anyone will notice unless they look for it. Here is my real question...

You always hear people talking about PVC and ABS but did anyone care to look to see what Honda used...its PPE. The kit I have is PPE....

What are the properties of PPE?
[ul][*]very good physical properties[*]good heat resistance[*]very stable dimensionally[*]poor color stability[*]opaque[*]moderate price[*]somewhat tough processing [/ul]
What are the applications of PPE?
The strength, stability, and the acceptance of flame retardants of PPE (and PPO) makes them desirable for machine and appliance housings. The lack of chemical resistance and color stability means they often have to be painted in these applications. Low water absorption leads to their use in many water handling products. PPE can also be electroplated in automotive wheel covers and grills. Here is a summary of PPE applications:
[ul][*]internal appliance components[*]brackets and structural components of office products[*]large computer and printer housings (painted, foamed)[*]automotive wheel covers, plated[*]high tolerance electrical switch boxes and connectors [/ul]

So.....if Honda used PPE...why all the fuss about ABS??? Is ABS better? Os it is just easier for the aftermarket companys to work with seeing PPE has a "somewhat tough processing"??????

Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Default RE: Fairing Kit Plastics

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

So.....if Honda used PPE...why all the fuss about ABS??? Is ABS better? Os it is just easier for the aftermarket companys to work with seeing PPE has a "somewhat tough processing"??????
ABS is better suited for corrosion resistance and is more flexible/durable.

PVC is cheaper basically.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM

yes, but how does ABS rate to PPE....

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Update, so I started fitting it today and I was looking under each piece to look at the stampings and I noticed that some are ABS, others are PPE....so I thenlooked under the OEM parts to see what was stamped where and I noticed that who ever made my kit made each piece out of same material as Honda....IE, the tank is PPE, the little ram air cover are ABS.... unless the company just stamped different tags on the same plastic....which could be the case, I mean it still is a kit from overseas, god knows what they do over there...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM

All Fitted....everything fit VERY WELL with the exception of the upper fairing....to install the headlight I had to start 4 out of the 5 screws holding in the headlight and then work the fairing one way or the other to get the hole to line up for the 5th screw, but I got it. Then it came time to install it, all the holes lined up except for the mirror stays....I had to elongate the holes about 1/16" of an inch each....not too bad...photos are here....

Granted my job used to be a teardown/reassembley tech ata high endautobody shop so I had a pretty good idea of how to fit and tweak parts around as that you to be my living...but it came out GREAT....looks and feels just like the Honda parts except if you know how to look at the body you can see the Honda parts were "smoother"...

https://cbrforum.com/m_688160/mpage_.../tm.htm#729949

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Here are two non cell phone photos....

https://cbrforum.com/fb.asp?m=732528